Firefox ESR 17.0.3 available

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Firefox ESR 17.0.3 available

Postby ppietro » 23 Feb 2013, 07:43

Hi everyone,

It looks like we've jumped from Firefox ESR 10.x to 17.x now. I've pulled the latest sources down from the CentOS mirrors, and I'm building them for YDL for CUDA right now.

I'll kick off a PowerPC build after I work through this one. One bright note - it appears that the CentOS/RHEL 5.x Xulrunner & Firefox sources no longer have RHEL version build logic in them. The spec file I pulled is for RHEL 5.x only - not 6.x. billb - if I'm right - this means you could build PPC directly from the SPRMs without having to edit the spec files. (hint hint!)

Otherwise, I'll be bringing my trust PS3 on-line tomorrow to kick off a build.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Firefox ESR 17.0.3 available

Postby ppietro » 23 Feb 2013, 10:04

Okay - I've run into a semi-snag. :(

If I leave webm support turned off, everything builds fine. However - if I enable webm, I get python errors in the gyp module. Apparently, the latest gyp code from Google requires a version of python that isn't included by default in a CentOS/RHEL 5.x environment.

See here:
http://code.google.com/p/v8/issues/detail?id=2183

This used to work with the ESR 10.0.x builds. I'll probably be filing a bug on this in Firefox's Bugzilla when I do a little more troubleshooting and research.

So - what does this mean for us? I'll try the PowerPC build with WebM enabled, but it probably won't work - so I'll have to build with it turned off. This means the limited YouTube support we have with HTML 5 videos will break. This is important to us, since we can't use the Flash version of YouTube, due to the lack of PowerPC support from Adobe.

As an alternative, I might be able to build this by temporarily installing a newer python. That will take a little time as well.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 23 Feb 2013, 10:21

ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 23 Feb 2013, 17:40

Okay- I installed python 2.6 from the EPEL repositories. This works for YDL for CUDA, since it installs python 2.6 in parallel to your default python. (i.e. the binary executable is called python26, instead of python)

This let the Firefox compile kick off, but it failed with a different error involving the Ogg codecs during the linking stage.

Looking in the spec file, it appears that they've added two extra switches when building webm support. The original spec was:

Code: Select all
%if %{?enable_webm}
echo "ac_add_options --with-system-libvpx" >> .mozconfig
echo "ac_add_options --enable-webm" >> .mozconfig
%else
echo "ac_add_options --without-system-libvpx" >> .mozconfig
echo "ac_add_options --disable-webm" >> .mozconfig
%endif

The new code is:

Code: Select all
%if %{?enable_webm}
echo "ac_add_options --enable-webm" >> .mozconfig
echo "ac_add_options --enable-webrtc" >> .mozconfig
echo "ac_add_options --enable-ogg" >> .mozconfig
%else
echo "ac_add_options --disable-webm" >> .mozconfig
echo "ac_add_options --disable-webrtc" >> .mozconfig
echo "ac_add_options --disable-ogg" >> .mozconfig
%endif

It's the compiling of webrtc and ogg that are throwing issues for a RHEL 5 system. I'm going to see if I can uninstall python 2.6, and revert this back to the original Firefox ESR 10 logic. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 24 Feb 2013, 08:54

Hi everyone,

Quick update. Never could get webm working with the x86_64 build. Proceeding with PowerPC build - webm disabled.

Updates to follow.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 08 Apr 2013, 19:03

Hi everyone,

UPDATE: Had a build issue with the PS3. The build failed with a vague error. Upon further research, it turns out that the system had run out of memory - even with the additional swap file I created.

If I get a chance, I'll kick this off again with 17.0.5 - which was released on April 3rd.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Okano » 25 Jul 2013, 04:41

ppietro wrote:Hi everyone,

UPDATE: Had a build issue with the PS3. The build failed with a vague error. Upon further research, it turns out that the system had run out of memory - even with the additional swap file I created.

If I get a chance, I'll kick this off again with 17.0.5 - which was released on April 3rd.

Cheers,
Paul

Just stopped by to say thank you for your hard work.

Best,
Okano
Okano
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 25 Jul 2013, 05:08

Okano wrote:Just stopped by to say thank you for your hard work.

Hiya! Thanks for the encouragement! :) It's appreciated.

Speaking of which - thanks to billb - I have a PowerPC Mac G4 to build with. Unfortunately, life has been crazy busy, so I haven't put Yellow Dog on it yet. But I'm hoping to get it rolling this weekend, and to kick off a new Firefox build shortly. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby relet » 26 Jul 2013, 07:44

Thanks for the hard work.
Plus, I have downloaded and run "TenFourFoxG5", the code had been optimized for G5 with its Alvec, it runs even faster than the Firefox on my x86, can that be used for our ps3 YDL62 :?:
Thanks.
relet
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to General