Have the aliens landed?

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Have the aliens landed?

Postby roberthale » 20 Nov 2013, 18:31

Helloooo? Is anybody there? Spooky feeling... like I just woke up and there's nobody around. Actually I just came to Yellow Dog. No sign of human activity. I tried to get some tools I needed from the main store (Terrasoftsolutions), but it looks like everybody left the premises in a hurry. I dropped by the Town Hall (yellowdoglinux.com) to look on their notice board but can see no relevant announcements... or signs of life. I stumbled upon this community support centre, but it looks like nobody's been around here for a while. I leave messages but they seem to be blown away on the wind in the night and never seen again... not answered... not acknowledged. Have the aliens landed? Is the yellow dog dead? Am I the only one around who doesn't know something momentous has happened? I think we, no I, should be told. Can anybody tell me what is going on? Helloooo? :shock:
roberthale
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Have the aliens landed?

Postby billb » 11 Dec 2013, 17:48

:mrgreen:

Quick summary ... Yellow Dog Linux was a PowerPC-based Linux and many users ran it on PowerPC-based Macs. Then Apple switched to Intel x86 CPUs so the supply of mainstream computers to run it on dried up.

Then Sony decided to allow "OtherOS" installs on its Playstation 3 and YDL supported that, leading to a lot of new users on this forum - many completely new to Linux. Then Sony decided to remove that feature from the PS3 in a firmware update (version 3.21) and users had the choice of keeping OtherOS (YDL in this case) and losing PSN access, access to newer games, etc. or updating their consoles and losing OtherOS.

Naturally most users wanted to continue using their consoles for their primary purpose -- gaming -- and went with the firmware update.

So again YDL was left without any new mainstream PowerPC hardware to run on.

With the decline in traffic from regular users and the ever-present threat of spammers creating accounts and posting ads and junk, I decided it would be best to have all new user posts go into a moderation queue before they would appear on the forum. In practice, this virtually eliminates spam on the forum but legitimate posts are delayed until one of the admins or mods approves the post. After a few approved posts new users can post without moderation. The only active admins are Paul ("ppietro") and I, and sometimes it may be a couple of days before approval (or longer).

"Back in the day" we checked the forum several times a day we had a good base of regulars that answered questions and helped out, but those days are, sadly, over.

As far as I know, Yellow Dog continues to be developed, but not for hardware that most of us can get our hands on:

http://www.fixstars.com/en/products/7r2/ydl7/
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General