Xserve G5 Cluster Node install

Architecture specific questions.

Xserve G5 Cluster Node install

Postby highvoltz » 25 Mar 2008, 19:21

Hey Guys,

Looking for some input on a xserve G5 cluster node install. We have a video card to do the install.

I've tried booting from a firewire dvd drive.
I've tried booting from a SATA dvd drive connected to the internal SATA Controller.
I've tried doing an install via Target Disk Mode from another tower G5 Quad.
I've tried installing on the drive while in a Tower Quad G5, and moving the drive over to the Xserve.

All with no luck.

The closest to install was the last method, which after put in the xserve booted to the first level bootstrap, but didnt boot after that.

Whats the needed method to install YDL6 on a Xserve G5 Cluster Node?!

Appreciate the help
highvoltz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby highvoltz » 17 Apr 2008, 17:17

After a long struggle, we got it going.

After purchase of the cluster node itself - we needed to purchase
-video card
-xserve dvd-drive
-xserve dvd-drive-cable
-new sata harddrive

The apple firmware on the hard drive of the xserve seems to be a problem. I don't know why, it just doesnt work with YDL. (I couldn't get it working)

Once you hook up all the goodies, boot to the YDL install dvd and do a normal install.

If it doesnt boot backup, you need to change the boot-device in openfirmware.

my example-

setenv boot-device /ht@0,f2000000/pci@7/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0:1
mac-boot

I found the openfirmware device sting by booting to the install dvd, and using ofpath /dev/sda from a new terminal (crtl, option, F2) I had copied the ofpath binary to a usb drive from another working machine, and mounted it from that terminal.

On another note, we were able to boot headless off the bat with YHPC. (netboot) worked fine. Problem is we wanted a standalone server, not one to be used in a cluster.
highvoltz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to G4, G5 and XServe