YUM on G5 (error on yum update)

Architecture specific questions.

Postby SnakeO » 06 Mar 2005, 09:30

Hi,

I ran yum update on YDL 4.0

All the packages downloaded correctly. However at the end it says "Running test transaction:" with the following result:

Errors reported doing trial run
package kernel-g5-2.6.10-1.ydl.1 is intended for a ppc64 architecture

so I did this command:
rpm -qa|grep kernel
kernel-g5-2.6.8-1.ydl.7
kernel-2.6.8-1.ydl.7

so those are my kernels, I decided I only needed the kernel-g5, so I did this:
[root@jake jake]# yum remove kernel
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Base
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Extras
Server: Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[erase: kernel 2.6.8-1.ydl.7.ppc]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!
Erasing: kernel 1/1
Erased: kernel 2.6.8-1.ydl.7.ppc
Transaction(s) Complete
[root@jake jake]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-g5-2.6.8-1.ydl.7

now I only have the g5 kernel, but I am still getting the EXACT same error when i run yum update!

please someone help~!!
SnakeO
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 06 Mar 2005, 14:12

Unfortunatly i dont have a g5 system (will if they ever manage to get the energy/heat problems fixed and put in a *book) AFAIK, there should be no special setting on yum though i must ask which kernel are you booting with? I think that yum might check the currently running kernel's arch. and use that (so if your running the normal kernel and not the g5 yum will just detect your system as a g3/g4 system) You may have to alter your yaboot.conf to boot the proper kernel not sure
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby SnakeO » 06 Mar 2005, 20:16

I did this command:

[root@jake jake]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-g5-2.6.8-1.ydl.7

it says I have kernel-g5-2.6.8-1.ydl.7

What changes do I have to make on yaboot.conf file to get it working? And where is that file

-n00b
SnakeO
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 07 Mar 2005, 00:43

open up a terminal and switch to root ("sudo su" and type roots password) from there you'll need the exact name of the initrd and kernel/vmlinux ("ls /boot") write it down then use nano to edit the yaboot file "nano /etc/yaboot.conf" and edit the vmlinux and initrd stuff to the g5 stuff. ctrl+o saves it (use yaboot.conf) then type "/sbin/ybin -v" and it should print some messages up on the screen. one word of caution though be carefull to edit the file w/ the names exactly as they are (otherwise you'll end up w/ an unbootable linux) Id suggest that you make a seperate entry for the g5 kernel and copy the format from the first entry there.
StarKnight83

Postby SnakeO » 07 Mar 2005, 03:31

Hey,

this is some output from my session:

[root@jake jake]# ls /boot
config-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5
initrd-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5.img
System.map-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5
etc
lost+found
vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5

i see the two files I need, so I wrote them down. Then I emacs the file:
# yaboot.conf generated by anaconda

boot=/dev/sda2
init-message="Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux! Hit <TAB> for boot options."
partition=5
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
delay=10
enablecdboot
macosx=/dev/sdb3
macos=/dev/sdb3

image=/vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5
label=linux
read-only
initrd=/initrd-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5.img
root=/dev/sda3
append="rhgb quiet"

it looks like its using the same names (with the exception of the / in front of the names). But I ran your command anyway:
[root@jake jake]# /sbin/ybin -v
ybin: Finding OpenFirmware device path to `/dev/sda2'...
ybin: Finding OpenFirmware device path to `/dev/sdb3'...
ybin: Installing first stage bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot onto /dev/sda2...
ybin: Installing primary bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot onto /dev/sda2...
ybin: Installing /etc/yaboot.conf onto /dev/sda2...
ybin: Setting attributes on ofboot...
ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot...
ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot.conf...
ybin: Blessing /dev/sda2 with Holy Penguin Pee...
ybin: Updating OpenFirmware boot-device variable in nvram...

and It didn't help. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help!

-Jake
SnakeO
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby SnakeO » 07 Mar 2005, 03:57

one other note, when I run 'arch' i get 'ppc'. Should I get 'ppc64'?

I am running a single chip 1.6Ghz G5 tower

thanks again
-jake
SnakeO
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 07 Mar 2005, 14:26

unfortunatly now your beyond what i know-hint someone w/ a g5 machine wanna throw in a few hints/tips here
StarKnight83

Postby dtodd » 12 Mar 2005, 07:36

I'm new to YDL/Mac, but I've used Red Hat for a number of years. I recently installed YDL on a 1.6GHz single processor G5, and I've got the same problem with the updates as reported at the start of this thread. I haven't done boot installs / yaboot config changes yet -- want to go through that yet until I know it's going to be helpful.

Anyone solved this problem yet? Any idea about next steps to try if the solution isn't apparent?
dtodd
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 12 Mar 2005, 09:57

Well I brought this up to Owen on the #yellowdog irc and he said that you need to do the installation manually. so you'll need to dl the kernel rpm and use "rpm --ignorearch -Uvh kernel-g5-2.6.10-1.ydl.1.rpm"

note: you may have to change the kernel ver. depending on where you are on the release tree
StarKnight83

Postby dtodd » 12 Mar 2005, 15:25

Starknight -

Thanks ... I was just looking at the kernel messages and the rpm cache and had decided that that was the next step to try. Good to get confirmation from someone who would know. My first ybin on this Mac, so I'm a little hesitant to go into this without some sense that it's the right direction.

I'll post back if/when I've tried it.
dtodd
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby dtodd » 12 Mar 2005, 20:59

OK, this wasn't as bad as I feared. This is long, and may be overkill for some, but for anyone new to Linux or YDL, this might be helpful. (Just trying to give back in return for all the help I got from this forum.)

The Problem

If you do a clean install of YDL 4.0 from the distribution CDs, then try to run yum to update the kernel and apps, it goes through the motions of downloading packages, etc., but then fails sayiing something about trying to install ppc64 in place of a ppc kernel.

This appears to have been caused by an error in the naming or versioning of the original packages in the YDL 4.0 distro [ Linux 2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5 ] that causes rpm to think that the installed base is ppc (32) whereas the rpm package yum wants to install is ppc64 [ 2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5 ].

This happens on 1.6GHz, single processor G5 systems, at least.

The Solution

Try the "yum update" from a root command line. If it fails after downloading the packages, then you have pretty much everything you need already in cache. [If it fails to download, check one of the other messages on the forum for alternative download sites for yum -- I had trouble with the YDL site the first time I tried this and got timed out routinely 'til I switched sites.]

Connect to the /var/cache/yum/update/packages directory, do an 'ls', and you should see the rpm's all listed there. (If not, go off to one of the sites and fetch the kernel rpm's, at least, via ftp.)

Manually install the kernel rpms for both uniprocessor and smp -- you need to install both, even though you're a uniprocessor, since the subsequent update will fail trying to install the smp update. And 'yum --excludepkg' or whatever it is doesn't seem to work.

rpm --ignorearch -Uvh kernel-g5-2.6.10-1.ydl.1.ppc64.rpm
rpm --ignorearch -Uvh kernel-g5-smp-2.6.10-1.ydl.1.ppc64.rpm

Now 'ls /boot' to make sure those kernels got loaded.

Edit /etc/yaboot.conf to add the reference to the single-processor kernel. Others have recommended CHANGING the reference to the old kernel to reference the new one, but if you screw that up, you're dead in the water without some subsequent finagling. I prefer to copy that image reference, paste it back in, change the label for the original reference to be 'oldlinux' and then change the filenames in the new reference to point to the newly loaded files (see below).

Then run 'ybin -v' to load the boot loader with your new configuration (don't panic if you're a dual drive, dual boot system ... it seems to know to only change the boot blocks on the linux drive and doesn't --or didn't in my case -- touch the MacOSX drive, though it did look at it).

Reboot. If you're dual boot, pick linux. In any case, at the 'boot: ' prompt, press the 'tab' key and you'll see your options listed. If you did as I suggested above for labeling your *new* kernel as 'linux', press <return> or enter 'linux' and <return> and it'll boot to the new kernel. (If not, pick the name you used.)

Should boot up into your new kernel. Log in, 'su' to root, and type 'yum update' and yum will go off, figure out that it's already downloaded the rpms you need, do the testing, tell you it passed the test, and then do all the installs. Reboot again and you're up with a currently up-to-date system.

Having just done this, I don't know if I have to do the same thing the next time, buf if I do, I'll come back here to refresh my memory of how to do it. :-)

Here's a listing of a couple of the key steps from my work earlier this morning:

[root@BigMac packages]# pwd
/var/cache/yum/update/packages

[root@BigMac packages]# rpm --ignorearch -Uvh kernel-g5-2.6.10-1.ydl.1.ppc64.rpm
warning: kernel-g5-2.6.10-1.ydl.1.ppc64.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID aeb6b9c4
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:kernel-g5 ########################################### [100%]
[root@BigMac packages]# ls /boot
config-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5 initrd-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5-smp.img System.map-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5-smp
config-2.6.8-1.ydl.7 initrd-2.6.8-1.ydl.7.img vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5
config-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5-smp System.map-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5 vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7
initrd-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5.img System.map-2.6.8-1.ydl.7 vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5-smp

[root@BigMac packages]# emacs /etc/yaboot.conf
[root@BigMac packages]# /sbin/ybin -v
[root@BigMac packages]#

yaboot.conf:

boot=/dev/sda2
partition=3
timeout=30
delay=10
enablecdboot
macosx=/dev/sdb3
defaultos=macosx

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5
label=linux
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5.img
root=/dev/sda3
append="rhgb quiet"

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5
label=oldlinux
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5.img
root=/dev/sda3
append="rhgb quiet"
dtodd
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YUM on G5 (error on yum update)

Postby phil4u2 » 26 Apr 2005, 22:50

Thank's for these instructions!
Just before I do it, can I use the same instructions and kernel files on my G4 Tower?
or is this only for G5 machines?

Cheers......

dtodd wrote:OK, this wasn't as bad as I feared. This is long, and may be overkill for some, but for anyone new to Linux or YDL, this might be helpful. (Just trying to give back in return for all the help I got from this forum.)

The Problem

If you do a clean install of YDL 4.0 from the distribution CDs, then try to run yum to update the kernel and apps, it goes through the motions of downloading packages, etc., but then fails sayiing something about trying to install ppc64 in place of a ppc kernel.

This appears to have been caused by an error in the naming or versioning of the original packages in the YDL 4.0 distro [ Linux 2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5 ] that causes rpm to think that the installed base is ppc (32) whereas the rpm package yum wants to install is ppc64 [ 2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5 ].

This happens on 1.6GHz, single processor G5 systems, at least.

The Solution

Try the "yum update" from a root command line. If it fails after downloading the packages, then you have pretty much everything you need already in cache. [If it fails to download, check one of the other messages on the forum for alternative download sites for yum -- I had trouble with the YDL site the first time I tried this and got timed out routinely 'til I switched sites.]

Connect to the /var/cache/yum/update/packages directory, do an 'ls', and you should see the rpm's all listed there. (If not, go off to one of the sites and fetch the kernel rpm's, at least, via ftp.)

Manually install the kernel rpms for both uniprocessor and smp -- you need to install both, even though you're a uniprocessor, since the subsequent update will fail trying to install the smp update. And 'yum --excludepkg' or whatever it is doesn't seem to work.

rpm --ignorearch -Uvh kernel-g5-2.6.10-1.ydl.1.ppc64.rpm
rpm --ignorearch -Uvh kernel-g5-smp-2.6.10-1.ydl.1.ppc64.rpm

Now 'ls /boot' to make sure those kernels got loaded.

Edit /etc/yaboot.conf to add the reference to the single-processor kernel. Others have recommended CHANGING the reference to the old kernel to reference the new one, but if you screw that up, you're dead in the water without some subsequent finagling. I prefer to copy that image reference, paste it back in, change the label for the original reference to be 'oldlinux' and then change the filenames in the new reference to point to the newly loaded files (see below).

Then run 'ybin -v' to load the boot loader with your new configuration (don't panic if you're a dual drive, dual boot system ... it seems to know to only change the boot blocks on the linux drive and doesn't --or didn't in my case -- touch the MacOSX drive, though it did look at it).

Reboot. If you're dual boot, pick linux. In any case, at the 'boot: ' prompt, press the 'tab' key and you'll see your options listed. If you did as I suggested above for labeling your *new* kernel as 'linux', press <return> or enter 'linux' and <return> and it'll boot to the new kernel. (If not, pick the name you used.)

Should boot up into your new kernel. Log in, 'su' to root, and type 'yum update' and yum will go off, figure out that it's already downloaded the rpms you need, do the testing, tell you it passed the test, and then do all the installs. Reboot again and you're up with a currently up-to-date system.

Having just done this, I don't know if I have to do the same thing the next time, buf if I do, I'll come back here to refresh my memory of how to do it. :-)

Here's a listing of a couple of the key steps from my work earlier this morning:

[root@BigMac packages]# pwd
/var/cache/yum/update/packages

[root@BigMac packages]# rpm --ignorearch -Uvh kernel-g5-2.6.10-1.ydl.1.ppc64.rpm
warning: kernel-g5-2.6.10-1.ydl.1.ppc64.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID aeb6b9c4
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:kernel-g5 ########################################### [100%]
[root@BigMac packages]# ls /boot
config-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5 initrd-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5-smp.img System.map-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5-smp
config-2.6.8-1.ydl.7 initrd-2.6.8-1.ydl.7.img vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5
config-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5-smp System.map-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5 vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7
initrd-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5.img System.map-2.6.8-1.ydl.7 vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5-smp

[root@BigMac packages]# emacs /etc/yaboot.conf
[root@BigMac packages]# /sbin/ybin -v
[root@BigMac packages]#

yaboot.conf:

boot=/dev/sda2
partition=3
timeout=30
delay=10
enablecdboot
macosx=/dev/sdb3
defaultos=macosx

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5
label=linux
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5.img
root=/dev/sda3
append="rhgb quiet"

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5
label=oldlinux
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.8-1.ydl.7g5.img
root=/dev/sda3
append="rhgb quiet"
phil4u2
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 27 Apr 2005, 14:26

no use the normal kernel instead of the g5 one (the g5 one might work but not very well) you shouldnt be having any problems updating ur kernel on a g4 system though
StarKnight83

Postby mateo319 » 08 Jul 2005, 16:24

I had the same error on my Powerbook. I solved it by adding the line "exclude=kernel-g5" in the /etc/yum.conf file.
mateo319
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 09 Jul 2005, 06:30

mateo319 i forgot about the excludes capacity in yum. thx for mentioning it :D
StarKnight83

Return to G4, G5 and XServe