YDL on an XServe G5 dual and XServe RAID expansion

Architecture specific questions.

YDL on an XServe G5 dual and XServe RAID expansion

Postby MFP MISd » 18 Mar 2005, 00:31

Basically, is it supported?

But so much more. Basically, we found out today from Apple hat OS X Server doesn't support on the fly expansion of a RAID set. This was one of the main reasons we got the XServe and XServe RAID, so we're not pleased with Apple for not supporting this.

Just to be clear; we're talking about a situation where we've set up a level 5 RAID with four 400GB hard drives, and then later want to add another 400 GB drive so that the amount of drive space on the RAID array grows, but don't want to have to reformat the array to have the expanded space available.

If this would work with YDL running on the XServe that hosts the RAID over its fibre channel, we would probably do it, depsite the fact that we have almost no experience with Linux. I'm not afraid of the terminal in OS X or Unix in general, and I'm sure I could get up to speed pretty quickly, but I'd need to know that it could be a stable solution.

I'd be happy to hear from anyone who's had experience running YDL on an XServe, but mainly I need to hear from anyone who's working with the XServe RAID as well...

Thanks!
:roll:
MFP MISd
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 18 Mar 2005, 07:18

Im not sure about modifing an existing array (depends on type i think) but using LVM you should be able to do what you want (though you'll have to make sure its compiled into the kernel)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to G4, G5 and XServe