YDL 6.2 Install on iBook G4 over FTP

Architecture specific questions.

YDL 6.2 Install on iBook G4 over FTP

Postby dylenbrivera » 08 Dec 2010, 06:42

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to install YDL 6.2 PPC DVD over the network onto an iBook G4 with only a CD-ROM drive. I'm running Mac OS X 10.6 and have tried using NFS which failed horribly. My current attempt is using FTP. I've mounted the downloaded YDL 6.2 PPC DVD and copied all the contents of the mounted drive to a Desktop directory named YDL. I created the bootable CD and have successfully authenticated into my ftp server. Now my problem is with the packages. I can get the hard drive partitioned using the YDL Net installer. I then select the packages I would like to use. When the installer begins to check the packages, it states that some of the packages cannot be opened. "This is due to a missing file or perhaps a corrupt package." I went in with the Terminal to try and discover what the issue was and I found that the .rpm files, which were copied over to the desktop directory, did not have complete file names. So when I seen that a file was missing or corrupt, for example the file "gnutls-devel-1.4.1-3.1.ydl6.1.ppc.rpm." I went in and searched for the file. Each file that was termed "Missing or Corrupt" had an incomplete filename. I discovered the file had a name of "gnutls-devel-1.4.1-3.1.ydl6." I would manually go in and fill in the blanks to the file names and the YDL Installer on the Client would successfully pass the the next package. Many Packages have that same issue. "Missing or Corrupt" files, yet really they had incomplete file names. I went in and manually changed as many packages as I could to get this install working. For about an hour or two all seemed to go well. Heres the catcher, I've come across a file named "telnet-0.17-39%{dist}.ppc.rpm." You can take a wild guess at what the installer said about this file... "Missing or Corrupt... blah blah blah." I went in, and with my solution to all the other packages I renamed the package to what it should have been. But to my surprise, for this ONE file, my quick fix just doesn't work. I've tried searching for the file on the internet and have found it successfully. I then procedded to replace the old "telnet-0.17-39%{dist}.ppc.rpm" with the newly downloaded "telnet-0.17-39%{dist}.ppc.rpm." I still get the same error message from the installer. This is where I am stuck. :?: :?: :?:

If anyone can provide any type of helpful information or need more information on my problem my email is Dylenbrivera@gmail.com

I will also constantly check back at this forum for replies. Thank you ydl. Until I get a response, farewell. ;]
dylenbrivera
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL 6.2 Install on iBook G4 over FTP

Postby billb » 08 Dec 2010, 18:25

dylenbrivera wrote:I've mounted the downloaded YDL 6.2 PPC DVD and copied all the contents of the mounted drive to a Desktop directory named YDL.

I wonder if there's some problem with either the downloaded YDL 6.2 PPC iso or with the way the DVD was burned. On the server you downloaded it from (or any server providing ydl .iso files) there should be instructions for checking the sha1sum on the downloaded image to make sure it's not corrupt. Also I wonder if there are some limitations for handling certain characters in filenames over FTP (with the telnet-0.17-39%{dist}.ppc.rpm, which when rebuilt for YDL the %{dist} tag wasn't set so rpmbuild just used %{dist} instead of something like "ydl6").

Are you able to select/deselect packages during the install process? I don't know for sure, but perhaps telnet is not a critical package that you could just skip for now.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: YDL 6.2 Install on iBook G4 over FTP

Postby dylenbrivera » 09 Dec 2010, 03:25

Hey billb,
I appreciate the quick response. I verified the SHA1 checksum. It was identical to the one on the server listed below.

ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/ydl/iso/SHA1SUM
85e7cbb2f5a158c6e00f9e0cd253e77d3a9a6a85 yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso

I suspected the same thing you just wrote about filenames and ftp transfers. I've tried to manually find the package and deselect it but YDL Installer isn't allowing me to. Is there a text version of the installer I could use? Perhaps then I could manually select each package as does Slackware Installer allows me to? In the mean time, "Google is my Friend." I will search for an answer for now. Thanks a lot though billb, I don't feel alone in my thoughts with the "filenames and ftp transfers" problem. Although unconfirmed I feel as though this may really be the issue.
dylenbrivera
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to G4, G5 and XServe