Airport working on 12" PB ...

Architecture specific questions.

Airport working on 12" PB ...

Postby flounder » 24 Aug 2005, 21:48

Looking for advise on getting airport working on a 12" PB that is about three months old. Under YDL, the airport card was never found, but under MacOS X it is found.

Thanks in advance.
flounder
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kamika » 25 Aug 2005, 10:12

airport extreme? It's still not supported under ppc-linux.
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Adam Boettiger » 24 Sep 2005, 19:33

If the airport extreme card is not supported by ppc-linux yet, what are other PowerBook users using as a workaround?

The ASUS 802.11G Wireless AP WL-330g?
Adam Boettiger
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 24 Sep 2005, 21:59

im using a linksys usb doongle (take a look at the howtos on the yellowdoglinux.com website for 4.x and ull see how to do it as well as a way with pcmcia cards) theres also a way to use mol to launch osx and use its kernel and drivers to do so. Ive also recently posted a few links on the progress of the linux drivers for the broadcom 43xx chipset (thats the one in the extreme cards)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby Adam Boettiger » 25 Sep 2005, 03:41

Thanks for the tip, StarKnight.

Unfortunately that fix was way too complicated for me. I love the stability and speed of Linux, and on the PPC platform I gave up on trying to get Fedora to work and between Ubuntu and YDL I chose YDL and really like it so far. But I don't know how to compile code and drivers. I just want the stuff to work.

I realize it's not Linux developers' fault, it's the hardware manufacturers for not supporting it or making drivers.

That said, I need wireless WLAN access on YDL or it is no good to me for what I do.

I have an ASUS wireless AP (WL-330G) that "claims" it needs no drivers to install and work and is purely plug and play. It uses a USB plug for power and an ethernet male plug to make the WLAN connection. It's a pretty cool device, but being new to YDL I have no idea what config settings to use to get it to work. In theory it should work.

I also just picked up a Netgear 108 Mbps wireless USB adapter that claims that I can plug into the USB port and use to access my 802.11x WLAN for net access; however no mention whether it works with Linux. It looks nice, though. Comes with a short cable and velcro attach so you can move it around for the best reception point.

I am leery of opening the celephane on the box though, without knowing if it will work. I just bought it today, have the receipt and can easily return it. None of these things say they work with Linux and I searched online and there is no mention of this device working. Says it comes with a "Smart Wizard Install Assistant" CD, which makes me very leery. <G>

I guess this Netgear thing is the closest to what you would call a dongle, but again, I'm leery of this hit and miss connectivity issue with Linux. Seems like there is a huge business opportunity here for someone or a group of developers to come in and create Linux drivers for five or six of the major wireless cards and dongles and sell them for twenty bucks a download. I know open-source is free and all, but the dongle sure as hell wasn't, so I would gladly pay $20 for a driver that was easy to find and worked out the gate with no compiling etc.

Between the Netgear WG111T 108 Mbps Wireless USB Adapter and the ASUS unit, which would you use if you were me? The ASUS I've had and just can't get it to work - probably user error. The Netgear I don't want to try unless I'm sure it's going to work as I'd rather return it for the cash.

TIA

/AB
Adam Boettiger
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 25 Sep 2005, 20:44

well offhand no usb wifi device works "out of box" all require you to compile a driver-which is actually really easy (1. the howto ive written in the faq sec. steps u through it pretty well and 2. the readme in the sourcefiles does the same as well as directs u on the program specific compile stuff) id send u my binarys but their compiled against the 4.0.91 kernel source and so wouldnt work :-/ Oh and to know what devices currently work under linux take a look the site listed in the support/howtos/4.x/usb wifi on the yellowdoglinux site at the bottom theres a zipfile u can dl and inside is an html file that lists all the current cards (usb, pci, pcmcia) that work and what drivers they require
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to iBooks and Powerbooks