BEWARE: New 1.33GHz G4 iBook may overheat with YDL 4.0.1

Architecture specific questions.

BEWARE: New 1.33GHz G4 iBook may overheat with YDL 4.0.1

Postby tghewett » 11 Dec 2005, 11:01

Be careful using YDL 4.0.1 on a new G4 iMac, on the 12" 1.33GHz model the fan does not come on when the CPU runs hot. I rebuilt the kernel (an intensive operation) and the whole laptop became very hot without the fan coming on. Probably not very good for it.

Solution: download the latest kernel source from www.kernel.org (I have 2.6.14.3) and configure in the following when doing make menuconfig:

Device Drivers->Macintosh device drivers->Support for thermal mgmnt on laptops with ADT746x chipset
Device Drivers->USB Support->Apple USB touchpad support
Device Drivers->Network device support->Ethernet (10 or 100mbit)->Sun Cassini support

The first sorts out the fan problem, the second enables the laptop trackpad (which doesn't work with YDL 4.0.1 by default) and the third sorts out a problem with the ethernet not working with this kernel.

The built-in speakers still don't work properly with YDL, not sure of the reason.
tghewett
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kamika » 12 Dec 2005, 11:55

so you may want to stop the build process every once in a while to resume it after the laptop had some time to cool down.
maybe you could even provide a kernel package after building one for the rest of the ydl users with the same specs?

kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tghewett » 12 Dec 2005, 13:00

Kamika,

Just follow the instructions for building a kernel and set the options that I describe. If you don't know how to build and install a kernel there are other threads on this forum which tell you how, but this is what I did:

1. download 2.6.14.3 and extract in /usr/src.

2. copy the config file for the standard 2.6.10 kernel (in /boot) into .config in the new 2.6.14.3 directory in /usr/src.

3. cd to that new directory.

4. "make oldconfig" - configures the 2.6.14.3 kernel based on the existing one. You get asked a lot of questions for new features, most of the time the default answer is good enough but watch out for the options I mentioned previously. You only get asked all the new questions once, next time they will be remembered.

5. "make" - this takes maybe 30 mins and builds the kernel. The image is left in the vmlinux file in the directory you are in. As you mention, it may be wise to control-Z the process from time to time to allow the CPU to cool.

6. copy the file to /boot/vmlinux.2.6.14.3, don't overwrite the existing 2.6.10 image just in case the new one has a problem.

7. Edit /etc/yaboot.conf to create a new entry for the new image - give it a unique label like "kamika" so you can identify it at boot time. I find that the other files (like the RAM disk image) can stay the same, you just need to specify a different label and boot image in the new entry.

8. install the new yaboot config with ybin so that it is known about at boot time.

9. Logout and reboot, enter the image's label (e.g. "kamika") when you see the boot: prompt.
tghewett
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 12 Dec 2005, 14:15

if someone will email me the config file id be more then happy to build a current kernel and bzip the entire file so you can install it on your system

<edit>which reminds me i need to try the latest stable </edit>
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to iBooks and Powerbooks