Problem on ibook2 600 waking up

Architecture specific questions.

Postby prezninja » 14 Dec 2004, 18:32

afro wrote:Hey StarKnight83 & others, any update yet to temporary solve this sleep problem?

Did you try killing magicdev? It's been working for me since.
prezninja

Postby prezninja » 14 Dec 2004, 18:35

This is the information I've gathered so far:

magicdev has been deprecated and replaced by dbus, yet is still included with Yellow Dog Linux. If the bug lays within magicdev, it will not be fixed as that package is no longer maintained. The only way I've found to fix the sleep-of-death problem is to stop using magicdev.
prezninja

Postby Scodiddly » 14 Dec 2004, 19:56

That does it, eh? Cool! Just wish I'd brought my YDL 4 disks with me (long working trip), since I'll have time over Christmas to rebuild. The sleep thing was the only thing stopping me from running 4.0.

Well, there was some weirdness with the clock, but that may have been a symptom.
Scodiddly
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby afro » 15 Dec 2004, 06:38

prezninja wrote:Did you try killing magicdev? It's been working for me since.

There is no 'magicdev' in my ps aux output :?

UPDATED:

I've killed 'dbus-daemon' and I tried to put my ibook to sleep while in konsole mode and it could wake up properly, but not in X mode. It was done in as normal user (not root).
afro
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby pva » 15 Dec 2004, 20:56

if runninig yellowdog linux 4.0 and directly booting kerner 2.4.28, suspend working OK, if running kernel 2.6.8(9), suspend not working OK. ( if system now booting and suspend resume 20% ok, if X loging suspent 100% not working OK) .

IMHO it is kernel bug.
pva

Postby hexstar » 21 Dec 2004, 02:05

I have a iBook G3 800MHz and it also fails to wake up after going to sleep when logged into KDE as a regular user
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

magicdev

Postby geospine » 21 Dec 2004, 22:52

i dont have magicdev running or installed on my computer. the only reference i could find to it was a headder file in: /var/cache/yum/base/headers/magicdev-0-1.1.6-1.ppc.hdr
but i still have the sleep of death problem.
geospine
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

resume.d and suspend.d

Postby holyhandgrenade » 02 Jan 2005, 06:34

I have been working on getting magicdev to stop when the lid is closed and restarted when it is opened. So i did some research and have been trying to get the suspend.d and resume.d to work with this laptop. Since these don't exist, I made them in /etc/power then i made a magicdev script in scripts.d by making a copy of skeleton. Made a symbolic link in suspend.d and resume.d to it, I then altered this new script to do some testing to see if it would do anything when the lid is opened or closed. Guess what it didn't, so something else was wrong. After some looking I found out that the script that calls the scripts in resume.d and suspend.d doesn't work properly (etc/power/pmcs-pbbuttonsd). Long story short the run-parts commands are to blame, in that /usr/bin/run-parts does not work the way the calling script suspects.

After some digging on the internet I found the source for the proper run-parts and compiled it and now the scripts are working. I don't have this entirely working, but now I can kill magicdev on lid close, but it won't come back up on open, I'm still working on this but I thought I'd bring people who want to know up to speed as to what I got so far.

Sorry this is alittle long winded, but I hope it helps someone out there.

Thanks for listening
HH

Ohh yeah, I'll try to find a place to put up my code for download, or viewing.
here is a link to the code to run-parts
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopi ... =1692#1692
Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
holyhandgrenade
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby afro » 02 Mar 2005, 10:51

any updates guys?
afro
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 02 Mar 2005, 15:08

Yes, first i want to apologize for all those that i didnt get to w/ the fixes on this (took me a while to find where ydl puts the scripts as its now where ubuto has them) but while i did have it working I didnt think to back it up when I reinstalled ydl 4.0 and ran yum update to get 4.0.1 (where sleep works perfectly) And its a true sleep at that as the power goes into its standby mode, vid card goes to sleep and what not else.

So if someone is really impatient ill see if i cant redo the ubuto script for 4.0 but id suggest just waiting til the 4.0.1 updates hit public mirrors or getting an enhanced acc. and getting the updates that way
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby afro » 03 Mar 2005, 04:19

@StarKnight83,

Thanks for the info.

But the sleep problem on my ibook really annoys me.

As u've said, i think i shall wait for 4.0.1 then.
afro
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby holyhandgrenade » 03 Mar 2005, 17:26

Sorry, I have not been able to work on this as much as I would have liked. As I said before I was able to stop magicdev on lid close. I have a command to bring it back up, but it doesn't seem to work in the wake up script. Now I hear it is all fixed in 4.0.1.

HH
Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
holyhandgrenade
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jbrown94305 » 20 Mar 2005, 19:04

I have a dual usb iBook G3/500
kernel 2.6.10-1
YDL 4.01 installed from downloaded ISOs

Suspending by closing the lid still fails to recover when the lid is opened.

This really is a show-stopper when it comes to using YDL on portables. I'm glad I didn't buy it. If I paid money for something with this many problems I might really be angry. Even Windows 95 worked better vis-a-vis hardware.

I also have a PowerBook 12" that I would like to run YDL on but it has a wireless Broadcom chip set consequently no wireless...
jbrown94305
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 20 Mar 2005, 21:45

<rant> @ jbrown94305 unfortunatly this is the reality of linux-there are times when things will just not work. This is why you must support the distrubution of your choice they need either need to pay more programmers to do this or buy hardware to support every system out there. As for the broadcom problem this is because they wont release the specs/comm. Either find an online petition for it or write them yourself requesting that they release the specs on the chipsets so people can write their own drivers for them. And keep note that YDL is the only ver. of linux Apple even remotely supports as it is the only one that can claim that its installation doesnt void your apple warrenty so they have to be doing something right. </rant>

To be honest: linux is not for everyone-things dont always work "out of box" and require some tinkering to get to work right. If you dont want to do this, sticking w/ pt. and click OS are fine (OSX, windows) The best analogy for this ive heard is that linux is like a manual tran. car you drive it to have fun and drive while OSX and windows are an automatic you just need it to get you from pt. A to pt B
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby Scodiddly » 21 Mar 2005, 01:26

I certainly agree that it's tough to get info out of hardware manufacturers and that Linux does tend to need tinkering.

But the lid-close thing does work in 3.0.1, and therefore ought to be supported in 4 as well. My hardware hasn't changed...
Scodiddly
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to iBooks and Powerbooks