PowerBook 3400 Network & Sound

Architecture specific questions.

PowerBook 3400 Network & Sound

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2004, 17:38

I just installed YD 3.0.1 on a PB 3400. Everything seems to be working sans sound and networking. I can live without sound, but not networking. I configured eth0 during the install, but it doesn't seem to want to play nice.

Does anyone have an idea? I've used "System Settings -> Network" which always says that the device status is inactive, and when I click the activate button, a window pops up, and goes away too quickly to read.

Thanks for any help.

More Information

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2004, 19:32

I managed to find out some more information. Don't know if it will help though.

redhat-config-network:

Either your Ethernet driver is not compiled as a module or the Ethernet card could not be initialized.
If the later, please verify your settings and try again.

Output:
modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.22-2fBOOT/modules.dep (No such file or directory)

I don't know what that means. If I do need to compile a module, how do I do that?

Thanks again for any help.

I was surprised that 3.0 didn't work on the 3400, since it used to be mentioned on the YD site. Hopefully someone else knows what's up.

Talking to yourself...

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2004, 19:43

Well, I figure I'll just keep posting regarding my experiences on the remote chance that somewhere someone might find it useful. So, I started investigating:

/lib/modules/

Which contains:
2.4.22-2f and 2.4.22-2fsmp

I assume the SMP one is for multi-processor machines.

Anyway...of course it's having trouble finding the .dep file, because it's looking for a 2.4.22-2fBOOT directory. Should I just make a symbolic link? The other option is to figure out why it's appending BOOT rather than just using 2.4.22-2f, which is what I would expect.

Links not an Option...

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2004, 19:45

Even as root:

# link 2.4.22-2f 2.4.22-2fBOOT
link: cannot create link '2.4.22-2fBOOT' to '2.4.22-2f': Operation not permitted

Tried this stuff...

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2004, 19:52

I wish there was a post saying what the resolution was...

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pip ... 04598.html

Found This...

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2004, 20:21

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/s ... nels.shtml

"Anyone using BootX still has one more thing to to copy: copy the new kernel to the partition on which BootX is installed, and put it where BootX can find it, in System Folder -> Linux kernels. This can be done by copying it directly there (if you've mounted that partition such that you can write files to it); or it can be done indirectly, by copying it to something like a Zip disk (useing xhfs, for example) or another machine (using ftp/sftp/scp), then rebooting to the MacOS and putting it in place. However you do it, you probably want to save a copy of your old kernel on the Mac side, too, and hit the 'save prefs' button in BootX when you've chosen the new kernel from the BootX pop-up menu of kernels, so that the new kernel becomes your default. "

Well...that's cool if I could access the network...but I can't. Trying something else.

Trial By Fire...

Postby Guest » 14 Dec 2004, 20:37

Whoot...

First I mounted my MacOS partition:

# mount -t hfs /dev/hda8 /mnt/macos

(I created the dir first and made sure 8 was my partition number)

Then I copied my kernel to the "Linux Kernels" folder on my MacOS partition. I pointed BootX at that new kernel on reboot...

And I hear sound...and I see dependencies being checked/found.

Lookin good.

Return to iBooks and Powerbooks