ibook G3 airport problems

Architecture specific questions.

ibook G3 airport problems

Postby guest » 20 Dec 2004, 00:50

i just installed ydl 4 on my ibook, but i can't get airport 802.11b to work. i'm pretty sure its recognizing it, because it says airport in one of the config windows. next to it, it says "inactive" but when i try to activated it it says "Gathering IP info for eth0" or something close to that (i'm not looking at it right now) and then says "failed". can anynone give me a pointer to what to do about this? i was planning on using this as a server so i kind of need it to be able to connect to the internet..

i've got ydl 4 installed on the first partition on my ibook G3, with os x installed on the other partition

Postby StarKnight83 » 20 Dec 2004, 03:12

does the wireless network your tring to join use static ips (u have to assign your system one) or dhcp (which is automatic) Im asking this b/c it seems that its not accapting some peramiter for the network. Double check the ssid, wep, ip setting (static or dhcp), and possible channel
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby guest » 20 Dec 2004, 05:15

its using dhcp. i didn't see anywhere to enter the wep, and everytime i entered the network name and saved and checked it again it wasn't there.

Postby hexstar » 21 Dec 2004, 01:56

you probably have to be logged in as root to make those changes to those settings since the configuration files are in a location only writeable by root
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby guest » 21 Dec 2004, 04:09

it asked for my root password, which i put in, so i assume that its doing it as root.

Postby hexstar » 21 Dec 2004, 04:15

ahh try running Kwifimanager which can be find by going to K>Internet>More Internet Applications>KWiFiManager as it usually does a really good job with detecting wireless hardware and its associated driver then finding the network and connecting successfuly (assuming you're running KDE)
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby guest » 24 Dec 2004, 05:21

where can i put in WEP password? should i check the "Use cryptography" in the wireless network configuration? then what?

Postby hexstar » 24 Dec 2004, 06:10

you probably have to do that manually in the wireless configuration file...to make this easier, at least until you get the wireless connectivity working I'd disable WEP then later once you get successfuly connected to your wireless network and can surf the web if applicable then I'd see how to configure WEP in the wireless configuration file manually (your wireless configuration file will be named the name that the connection has e.g. eth0 and can be found here: /etc/systemconfig/network-scripts/, you will need to be root to edit the file)
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Return to iBooks and Powerbooks