RealPlayer for Linux install problem

Architecture specific questions.

RealPlayer for Linux install problem

Postby espada » 28 Dec 2004, 21:05

In KDE I installed RealPlayer10GOLD from the real.com/linux site with no apparent problem.
While browsing the internet in Gnome, I tried to access video media and Yahoo Helper popped up and said I didn't have RealPlayer i nstalled, and directed me to the real.com/windows page.
Before attempting to reinstall, I searched my hard didsk for the RealPlayer application and only the original downloaded bin file appeared. I tried to reinstall from it using the same instructions that were posted to the real.com/linux download site, but gnome said necessary libraries did not exist. I then tried downloading the .rpm from the same site but the system didn't seem to recognize the file type and couldn't execute the rpm. What happened to RealPlayer from my original install while running KDE? After installation it had appeared in KDE's menu and the player opened up fine. I had installed as root and am running root in gnome when I had this problem.
I'm using YDL 4.0 (official storebought but unsupported version) on a 360mhz Clamshell iBook with airport card and Mozilla v 1.7.2. BTW, Yahoo Media Helper also said I should " 'Upgrade' to Mozilla 1.7"! I am assuming that Yahoo Media Helper doesn't recognize Linux at all, but that doesn't explain why my KDE install of RealPlayer for Linux was invisible to Gnome. Can anyone explain to this newbie something probably so obvious others seem to take it for granted? Couldn't find a faq about this.
espada

Postby StarKnight83 » 29 Dec 2004, 03:04

to be honest id be very surprised if the plugin binary worked at all (as far as i knew it was compiled for x86) ive always used the mplayer plugin bit
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to iBooks and Powerbooks