iBook G3, YDL 3.0.1, redhat-config-network weirdness

Architecture specific questions.

iBook G3, YDL 3.0.1, redhat-config-network weirdness

Postby Scodiddly » 02 Jan 2005, 09:05

I installed YDL 3.0.1 a couple months ago, and I've been having some real weirdness with redhat-config-network. I'd had things running fine with 3.0, but I wanted to try out YDL 4.0 and a couple other distros so I ended up reinstalling everything.

Anyway, here's what happens.

Somehow redhat-config network is easily confused about which device (iBook Ethernet, Apple Airport card) is eth0 and which is eth1. I had first read that there was a kudzu bug, so I disabled kudzu and manually removed extra references to network hardware in /etc/sysconf/hwconf. But the weirdness continues... sometimes a device will appear twice under the Hardware tab in r-c-n, and creating a connection is fraught with peril. Pretty much I've been able to get away with only using the Airport, which does work, but I'd like to be able to have wired connections available as well.

Doesn't seem to be an update for r-c-n, either.
Scodiddly
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 02 Jan 2005, 14:28

i sort of had a simillar problem about a year and a half ago when i first installed ydl 3.0 but when i was messing w/ the network cards in redhat-config-network i accidently deleted them all; when i recreated the 2 devices and their settings i didnt have any problems. So i guess just try deleting all the devices listed and redo them
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby Scodiddly » 02 Jan 2005, 15:05

I haven't tried that since disabling kudzu, but had deleted and recreated the devices a few times when I was first wrassling with it a month ago. Didn't help, but maybe I'll try again.
Scodiddly
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Scodiddly » 02 Jan 2005, 15:21

OK, I deleted the hardware devices and recreated them. The trouble is that the two devices, the Ethernet port and the Airport, tend to show up by themselves somehow and on the same "eth" number. So now I've got two of each in the hardware list.
Scodiddly
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Scodiddly » 02 Jan 2005, 16:36

Played around with it a bit more. Things seem to have settled down; the hardware device copies disappeared on their own and I've been able to create profiles for wired and wireless operation here at home. Need to see if the profile I created for office wireless works when I get to the office this week. Following the cautions I saw a while back, I'm only adding new profile devices by copying and editing existing ones.

Really wish there was a better networking tool. I feel like I'm tiptoeing through a minefield with the redhat tool. I tried Ubuntu Linux recently, and it had a great wireless tool right in the taskbar which even showed signal strength. Couple of show-stopper problems in other parts of the distro made me go back to YDL 3.0.1, though. :?
Scodiddly
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to iBooks and Powerbooks