Can't boot from cd

Architecture specific questions.

Can't boot from cd

Postby fmcosta » 30 May 2005, 12:29

Hi everyone. I've egot a Dual USB iBook (late 2001) G3, 600 Mhz, and I can't boot form cd to install YDL 4.0.1.
I bought the program directly from Terra Soft so I didn't made the cd's myself. I've also tried to install YDL on a cube and it did boot from the cd's OK.
Anyone has a clue how to work this problem around?
Thanks very much.
fmcosta
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 30 May 2005, 14:25

have u tried holding down the option key to see if the openfirmware at least sees the first install disk?
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby fmcosta » 30 May 2005, 16:35

Nope, I'm afraid I didn't.
I just did that and it worked!
I guess it was some sort of firmware problem or so... not sure... The bottom line is now it worked and installed nicely!
Thanks very much.
fmcosta
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

I have similar or same problem

Postby yellowdoggiedog » 29 Oct 2005, 03:41

I have an old ibook. I believe it was one of the early blue and white ones. I downloaded the ISO image to my PC and burned like i have done many times for other iso's.

I have actually half heartedly tried this in the past with previous versions of yellow dog as well. I say half heartedly only because i have never written a post here for help.

In the past I recall maybe reading something about the early ibooks and old world/new world ROMs or something like that.

Well in any case, I have the same problem I have always had in trying this. If I boot the laptop with the CD in and hold down the "c" key the ibook sure looks at the CD, spins it, etc; but after a long while simply ignores it and moves on to boot from the hard drive.

Should I hold down the option key in addition to the "c" key or instead of? Or does this not seem to be the issue here in my case?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
yellowdoggiedog
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 29 Oct 2005, 06:49

AFAIK, all ibooks have been new-world (the clamshells were the first) so hold down the option key, if it doesnt see the cd there then the iso is most likely corrupted or didnt burn right if the md5 sum checks out then reburn it but at a slower speed
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Thank you it worked easy

Postby yellowdoggiedog » 31 Oct 2005, 20:08

Worked as advertised... Now If I can just get the boot up to work, no video. I will try the the tips in end of quick start guide. Change to command boot if I can and then try to run sometype of config for gui.

Thank you again
yellowdoggiedog
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to iBooks and Powerbooks