Not Enough Ram - iMac rev A installation

Architecture specific questions.

Not Enough Ram - iMac rev A installation

Postby RonHack » 24 Dec 2008, 04:01

[MODERATOR EDIT: This thread was started in 2006. It's best not to piggyback on threads this old. I've gone ahead and split off your question as a new topic. Cheers, Paul]

I get that message, too.

My specs:
First iMac
G3 233 MHz
96 MB RAM
4 GB Hard drive
CD-ROM Reader

Trying to install YDL 4.1, which is supposed to support G3 iMacs

To get YDL 4.x, you'll need to do a torrent search, since the DLs are not that easy to find anymore.

It was able to boot using the graphic user interface, unlike my last attempt with 5.0.2; it complained that it didn't have enough RAM, although it allowed the install in text mode.

However, in both cases (using the default partitioning mode), when the install get to roughly 40% or so, the install terminates unexpectantly, nooting into the "No OS" screen.

Could it be the hard drive? I told it my needs were modest (2.45 GB were needed). I'm testing the hard drive now, although it passed the tests so far.

How shall I handle this?
RonHack
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Not Enough Ram - iMac rev A installation

Postby RonHack » 26 Dec 2008, 01:24

OKay, here's an update:

I got my hands on another iMac, with the same specs as the first one I reported. The CD-ROM drive was quieter, so I thought I figured out what the problem was.

However, the same problem happened: it would install up to 40 - 50% of the install, usually on the second disk, then suddenly terminate and reboot.

Of course, the system refuses to boot into the new OS (either 4.1 or 5.0.2, doesn't matter).

I have two other possibilities to try out:

[1] An old issue of "Linux Journal" suggested that I reboot the iMac after setting up the partitions, before continuing with the install. Very unprecedented in my experience, since Intel Linuxes were able to consolidate their whole configuration with one sweep. However, since my experience with Mac partitioning is very limited.....

[2] I used a PortableApps version of InfraRecorder to burn the images onto CD-Rs, since it worked well with me in the past. I have used ImgBurn before, which wasn't on the system that I used. Once I pick up more CD-Rs, I can reburn the 4.1 distro again (I only need two of the CDs for what I wish to install).

So, not the hard drive, and not the CD-ROM drive. Definitely not the RAM, either.

I'll update as soon as I have more info.
RonHack
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby RonHack » 10 Jan 2009, 18:24

Well, that didn't help.

Is it me, or has this been all-of-a-sudden been abandoned?

I get the feeling no one hangs out here.
RonHack
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 10 Jan 2009, 19:54

RonHack wrote:Well, that didn't help.

Is it me, or has this been all-of-a-sudden been abandoned?

I get the feeling no one hangs out here.

Unfortunately, since Apple switched to Intel processors, finding actual PowerPC Macs is kinda tricky. Most of the current users of this forum use PS3 - with the occasional IBM Blade server or Fixstars hardware.

That's not to say there aren't Mac YDL users out there - I'm actually trying to get my hands on one - but my guess is it might take longer to get a response in this forum than it would for a PS3 owner.

It does sound like you're running out of hard drive space. Are you using all of the 4 gig drive? Or only 2 gig of it? Is there a way to try this with a bigger hard drive?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to eMac and iMac