eMac won't boot YDL 6.1 DVD

Architecture specific questions.

eMac won't boot YDL 6.1 DVD

Postby rmcquistion » 04 Apr 2009, 17:14

My eMac reads YDL 6.1 DVD in Mac OS X, but the YDL 6.1 DVD doesn't appears in Startup Disk.
I tried to reboot eMac with the DVD in the drive but still won't boot the DVD. Any suggest?

Thanks! :)
rmcquistion
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: eMac won't boot YDL 6.1 DVD

Postby ppietro » 04 Apr 2009, 19:39

rmcquistion wrote:My eMac reads YDL 6.1 DVD in Mac OS X, but the YDL 6.1 DVD doesn't appears in Startup Disk.
I tried to reboot eMac with the DVD in the drive but still won't boot the DVD. Any suggest?

Thanks! :)

Even though I'm a PS3 owner, I might be able to help here.

First - did you buy the disc, or burn it yourself? If you burned it yourself, make sure you created the disc from the ISO - not just burned the ISO to a disc.

In other words, when you open up the DVD, you should see many files at the base of the DVD - not just one. If there's only one file, that won't work.

Also - manually opening up the ISO by mounting it on your Mac desktop, and copying the files to DVD won't work either. The ISO is not a ZIP archive - it's an image of the disc. By manually extracting the files and burning them, you lose the boot sectors contained in the ISO.

Unfortunately - I don't know what Mac program to use to burn a disc from an ISO. If you have access to a Windows machine, we on the forums have had the best luck with a program called IMGBURN. It's fast, and it's free. :D You would want to pick the "write image to disc" option in that program.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rmcquistion » 05 Apr 2009, 03:13

I bought YDL DVD from Fixstars which comes with 2 DVDs. None of these DVD be able to boot on my eMac. I guess I'll try other Linux OS that supports PPC.
rmcquistion
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 05 Apr 2009, 07:02

rmcquistion wrote:I bought YDL DVD from Fixstars which comes with 2 DVDs. None of these DVD be able to boot on my eMac. I guess I'll try other Linux OS that supports PPC.

Did you get the edition with the install support or not? I'm guessing you got the non-support edition, if you're asking here.

I'm not 100% sure - did I mention I was a PS3 owner? :) - but I don't think YDL 6.1 supports the e-mac. From this link:
http://us.fixstars.com/support/hardware/others.shtml

it appears that the last version that worked with that hardware was YDL 4.x, although it outlines possible workarounds for newer versions of YDL. Specifically for the e-mac:

The following WERE officially supported through Yellow Dog Linux v4.x and may function with the current release if netbooted from a local server or if CD images are prepared. "Pre-DVD" Apple computers were not able to boot from a DVD disk image and therefore required the use of multiple CD images which were not officially supported by Fixstars with the release of YDL v5.x, but were posted to the YDL.net Enhanced server and public mirrors

It sounds like you may want to contact Fixstars directly, and see if you can get this resolved.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Just FYI - this is a non-official message board staffed by volunteers. None of us here are affiliated with Fixstars (or TerraSoft Systems). Any direct inquiries should be directed to them. :D
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rmcquistion » 05 Apr 2009, 07:43

Ok. Thanks! :)
rmcquistion
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby blackpuppy » 21 Jun 2011, 19:25

Hey,

Just found this thread through a forum search and thought I would share the fact that I had the same problem. There was some way that the DVD was replicated that my disk drive didn't like so I had to go grab an external drive. It wasn't the only disc that wouldn't read so if this is happening to anybody else it has to be your disc drive, as far as my experience is concerned. I would like to get a better solution to this problem so now I am going to try a youtube to mp3 converter.
blackpuppy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to eMac and iMac