YDL 3.0.1 installed, flashing ? on reboot

Architecture specific questions.

YDL 3.0.1 installed, flashing ? on reboot

Postby jcdeagan » 13 Jun 2006, 08:07

Hello, this is my first attempt to put Linux on an old-world mac.

I am running a Power Mac 6500/250. I ran BootX from the Mac side of things, and was able to get into the YDL installation. After an hour, and a successful installation message, I reboot to the lovely flashing question mark. I understand this means that the firmware can't find a bootable system. So, now what?

Did the partitioning I did in the installation destroy the mac side? If so, I understand that i won't be able to use the Linux side either, without the BootX.

suggestions and/or help??

thanks!
jcdeagan
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jcdeagan » 22 Jun 2006, 22:57

Ok... my assumptions were true... when I installed YDL 3.1, it overwrote the mac partition. I bought a MacOS8 system disk off of ebay, and used it to create the partitions i want in advance, and allocated the smallest amount of hdd space to the mac partition, and then installed the BootX, and was able to install YDL from the CDs just fine.

My only issue now is the display... after getting the display error message, I ran the Xautoconfig, and still didn't work, when I ran the Xautoconfig with the --safe modifier, I was able to view the gui. It works okay.. doesn't look great, and many programs don't fit on the small screen (14" Color Plus Apple monitor).
jcdeagan
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to older Hardware