Help installing YDL on an IBM RS6000 F50

Architecture specific questions.

Help installing YDL on an IBM RS6000 F50

Postby mapage » 18 Sep 2004, 00:58

I am trying to install YDL on an older IBM RS6000 F50. I found this FAQ

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/s ... rs6k.shtml

but it is woefully out of date. (The link in step 1 is broken and the rest of the FAQ is based on that.) Also, I think champion_server is ancient.

I'm grateful for any help you can give.
mapage
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby hrdwrjnkie » 19 Apr 2005, 06:24

I would second the request for any info at all....I've got a B50 that I would love to put to use...
hrdwrjnkie
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Help installing YDL on an IBM RS6000 F50

Postby metroGnome » 15 Jun 2006, 00:57

mapage wrote:I am trying to install YDL on an older IBM RS6000 F50. I found this FAQ

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/s ... rs6k.shtml

but it is woefully out of date. (The link in step 1 is broken and the rest of the FAQ is based on that.) Also, I think champion_server is ancient.

I'm grateful for any help you can give.

I would be as well. I've got 3 of these machines and would like to get at lease one of them up and running.

I've been Googling for days and have come up with lots of mostly useless info - very little for Linux on F50.

The link mentioned above seems to have been fixed but I need a more detailed recipe. It links to no less than 8 zImage files but fails to mention which each is for.

Getting a ramdisk image (step 3) is problematic as it's too large for a floppy in the current release. I searched the FTP site until I found one small enough (from a earlier release of YDL) to put on a floppy.

I managed to get one of the zImage diskettes to actually do something (memory count - processor recognition) but everything I've tried so far hangs before it ever asks for the ramdisk image.

So, is there an F50 guru somewhere out there? Is there a Google search I missed? What is the minimum firmware required to run YDL?

I've been thrashing at this for a while so any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

MetroGnome
metroGnome
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to older Hardware