Anaconda crashes when it hits language selection

Architecture specific questions.

Anaconda crashes when it hits language selection

Postby Andru » 02 Dec 2004, 10:48

I am using an OW Beige G2 MT 266. I managed to get it to boot up from the CD following the instructions here but it crashes at the language selection screen. I can't seem to go any further.

Any ideas anyone?
Andru

Re: Anaconda crashes when it hits language selection

Postby virgule » 02 Dec 2004, 22:19

Andru wrote:I am using an OW Beige G2 MT 266. I managed to get it to boot up from the CD following the instructions here but it crashes at the language selection screen. I can't seem to go any further.

Any ideas anyone?

"Crashes"?
Do you mean a crash as in a complete 'freeze' or the installer just won't reach the next step?

When it's 'crashed', try switching to another 'tty' and look for revelent messages...
This is done with <CTRL+ALT+[F1 ..to.. F8]> There is 8 tty total. Anaconda use tty7 (CTRL-ALT-F7)

You are most likely lacking RAM or your CDs are fu*ked-up...
BootX default 'RAM Disk Size' to 8192, i've got mine going with 81920. (I know it contradicts my own HOWTO.. but it worked for me)
When browsing ttys If you spot one or more "I/O Error' or something similar you most likely have bad CDs. Burn them again at the SLOWEST SPEED available. Sorry about that...
If even MacOS have a hard time mounting them to the desktop then you can be sure its about the CDs.

As a last resort, reset PRAM as follow: <ctrl+apple+r+p> right after powering on. You will hear another *bong* but don't remove your fingers yet. Its recommended to hold'em down until the 4th or 5th *bong*.

Thanks you to report problematic encounters and0 please, let us know how it turn out!
To Be or Not To Be?? --This is NOT even a question...
virgule
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby hexstar » 21 Dec 2004, 04:11

Another possibility of I/O Errors could be that you have a bad cdrom drive...you may want to make sure that all the cdrom drives connections are completely secure
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

Return to older Hardware