Warp Speed: Window Maker shakedown

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Warp Speed: Window Maker shakedown

Postby ppietro » 22 May 2008, 07:06

Hi everyone,

In the continuing quest for lightweight window managers, I thought I'd mention my fave. It's called Window Maker and it's pretty neat. It's been around for a long time - I use it for PS2 Linux. :)

Here's a screen shot of Window Maker in action on my PS3:

It's easy enough to install - use the GUI Package Manager in YDL - select the List tab, and pick WindowMaker -0.92.0-10.fc6.ppc

BTW - you'll need to have the Fedora Extras repos installed, I think.

Applications are launched via right click Menus. The Menus are easy to customize - use the Wprefs tool - that's the 3rd "cube" in the upper right corner. I use Xfce's thunar for file management. You can have multiple desktops too - that's the paperclip in the upper left corner.

More information here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_maker

Give it a try - you might find it pretty groovy. Plus - it gives your PS3 that old NeXT workstation look. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uncholowapo » 22 May 2008, 12:11

Awsome I am going to try this out.

BTW: Are there any themes to "spice" it up?
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby citizenchris099 » 22 May 2008, 13:13

First off the fact that I can freely try any and all of the disperate windows managers out there is reason enough for me to love linux
That being said...Xfce was touted as a light weight manager and various individuals have claimed that KDE can be tweaked to have a smaller memory footprint.
Then there is fluxbox and now Window Maker....which one truly has the smallest memory foot print for the best performance on my ps3.

This is the best forum ever!!
everything is not going to be ok
citizenchris099
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby tcrroadie » 22 May 2008, 15:49

Thanks ppietro for continuing the quest to enlighten new Linux users that there are choices other than Gnome, KDE and XFCE out there for use on the PS3. I did try out Window Maker a few years ago, but it just never did click for me. So I just moved on and explored other projects and settled on Fluxbox. That is one of the great things about Free Software, is that there are so many choices.
Then there is fluxbox and now Window Maker....which one truly has the smallest memory foot print for the best performance on my ps3.

I really do not know exactly wich one has the smallest memory foot print. You will just need to try them all out for yourself. Here is a web site with a complete list of all of the Window Managers that run on Linux.
[url]
http://xwinman.org/
[/url]
tcrroadie
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby citizenchris099 » 22 May 2008, 16:20

i plan on trying em all lol.
everything is not going to be ok
citizenchris099
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 22 May 2008, 17:04

citizenchris099 wrote:i plan on trying em all lol.

Sounds like Pokemon! Gotta try 'em all! :lol:

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 22 May 2008, 19:10

uncholowapo wrote:Awsome I am going to try this out.

BTW: Are there any themes to "spice" it up?

Yes - there are some built-in themes included.

Apparently - there's a lot on-line too. I'm not quite sure how to install these, but a quick Google search for "Window Maker Themes" turned up:

http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/918/

It looks like you have to match the theme to the release version of Window Maker.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3