wicd - stuck "Obtaining IP Address..." - my fix

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

wicd - stuck "Obtaining IP Address..." - my fix

Postby sun » 27 Dec 2008, 09:48

I got it working.

Story:
I upgraded to YDL 6.1, setup wicd correctly, and I had the issue with wicd hanging on "Obtaining IP Address..." for my WPA2 network, but it saw my network and tried to connect, unlike 6.0. I looked over many forum posts and sites trying to find a simple fix for my dilemma. After all, It was half working. :? However, anything I came across was either too involved or didn't work. I hate working and I hate 'not working'. :twisted: I even tried updating wicd to v1.5.7 in hopes this was a bug that the developers fixed. I was being too hopeful. :( It really surprised me that I was able to manually enable wlan0 with command line input using the same config file that both the failing versions of wicd generated for my connection. :o I was able to see what it was running through the log in /var/log/wicd/wicd.log and using 'ps aux | grep "whatever"' while the wicd-client did it's thing. It appeared to be using the same commands that I was manually typing into terminal. :!: Then I noticed from the /var/log/wicd/wicd.log that it was also using iwconfig to associate with my access point using 'iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed' and 'iwconfig wlan0 essid SSID ap XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX'. I didn't use these commands when I manually enabled wlan0 and it was working fine without. :!: Like a Dr. Gregory House Epiphany, I know what I had to do to cure this patient. :shock: Well ... get it well enough to hobble away.

Wicd is python app. I knew that from the upgrade to 1.5.7. The python files are editable, therefore I can cut out the bits I don't like. Scalpel, stat! But which one, which command, or was it both? :? A file search, some simple edits, Vicodin for the headache, and a few wicd restarts later, I found that it was the essid option in 'iwconfig wlan0 essid SSID ap XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX.' After the codectomy everything worked without a hitch. Though ironically, both iwconfig commands worked when I again manually enabled wlan0, this time with them. I suspect that the quick timing in execution of these iwconfig commands from wicd is preventing the dhcp client from getting a ip while the wlan0 interface is applying them. I'll never be able to type that fast to verify, nor do I want to troubleshoot any further. It works well enough without. This is an issue for the developers to work out. As I mentioned above, I hate work, and want a simple fix. Also, I'm not a real doctor, I only play one for pretend.

Since I had already upgraded to wicd v1.5.7, I started with that. I tweaked the code and was able to keep the essid option for iwconfig. I have attached the file I edited for those who would like to try it out.

I also decided to see if I can do the same for the wicd v1.5.3 that comes vanilla with YDL6.1 for the users that didn't upgrade. Unfortunately, it totally it did not improved, and the code had to be removed. Therefore I REALLY recommend users upgrade to wicd v1.5.7 and then apply my fix. However, the updated v1.5.3 file did allow wicd to connect to my access point and is attached as well.

Disclaimer: These files are edited originals and I cannot guarantee that they will work in your system setup or not cause harm to it, yourself, or your family. Assume them to be br0ken and take all necessary action to protect yourself. I will not be held responsible for any damaged that you do by using these files.

Instructions: (YDL 6.1 specific, your mileage may vary)

Step 1: Download the file appropriate for your wicd version.

**UPDATE** There is now a wicd v1.5.9 tarball available with all patch already applied. Just install and go.
**UPDATE** Added patch file for wicd v1.6.0.

wicd v1.5.3
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.5.3 -
YDL 6.1: extract and place in /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/
Fedora 10: extract and place in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wicd/
**resolves** wicd-daemon crash
(9.58 KiB) Downloaded 7030 times

wicd v1.5.7
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.5.7 -
(9.84 KiB)

wicd v1.5.8
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.5.8 -
(9.87 KiB) Downloaded 586 times

wicd v1.5.9
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.5.9 -
(9.89 KiB) Downloaded 1071 times
-or-
wicd v1.5.9
wicd1.5.9_patched.tar.gz
wicd1.5.9_patched.tar.gz -
All patches are applied
**resolves** not auto-reconnecting on wireless drop due to loss of association
(250.68 KiB)
(A fully patched wicd v1.5.9 install tarball for users without wicd or users looking to upgrade to v1.5.9)

wicd v1.6.0
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.6.0 -
(11.07 KiB)

wicd v1.6.1
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.6.1 -
Fedora 11: extract and place in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wicd/
(11.46 KiB)

wicd v1.6.2
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.6.2 -
(11.48 KiB)

wicd v1.6.2.1
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.6.2.1 -
(11.54 KiB)

wicd v1.6.2.2
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.6.2.2 -
(11.59 KiB)

Step 2: Extract the modified wnettools.py from the .tar.gz archive

Step 3: Backup your current wnettools.py located in /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/ so that you can restore it should my fix not help you or you decide to apply a later patch. Else you face the daunting task of reinstallation.

Step 4: Copy the modified wnettools.py to /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/ and overwrite the existing file that you backed up in Step 3. (root access is required for this step, so either do this logged in as root, or go su yourself in terminal)

Step 5: Reboot

Step 6: Return and post a reply of your success or failure. (I hope you printed this)

-sun
Last edited by sun on 05 Sep 2009, 18:53, edited 16 times in total.
sun
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: wicd - stuck "Obtaining IP Address..." - my fix

Postby ppietro » 13 Jan 2009, 11:42

Thanks for posting this - it seems to have resolved some issues I've been having with wicd. I used the v1.5.3 patch since I have a stock YDL 6.1 system.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peejaygee » 13 Jan 2009, 21:07

Same for me, I used the 1.5.3 version and can now surf the web, although a bit confused as to the "connected at 0%" message I get?
peejaygee
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 13 Jan 2009, 22:22

peejaygee wrote:Same for me, I used the 1.5.3 version and can now surf the web, although a bit confused as to the "connected at 0%" message I get?

Obviously, there's still a few bugs there. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GreenGiant14 » 13 Jan 2009, 22:39

I was not a member of this board until i was given a link to your post. Been trying everything to get the wireless working. Makes me wish i had this information 3 days ago.

You File works flawlessly

My thanks to you

Regards,

GG
GreenGiant14
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Entity » 14 Jan 2009, 12:09

the patch worked, thanks!
Entity
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby colinstatic » 19 Jan 2009, 08:05

Last edited by colinstatic on 20 Jan 2009, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
colinstatic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 19 Jan 2009, 08:27

colinstatic wrote:Worked great.
but how do i get it to obtain ip address on bootup?

I don't have it handy right now - my main PS3 hard disc has 6.0 on it, my spare has 6.1 - but you would use the "Advanced settings" for the connection.

See the screenshot here:
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/screenshot.php

You want to uncheck the "Use Static IPs" and uncheck the "Use Static DNS" checkboxes to have your PS3 automatically get IP Addresses from your router via DHCP.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colinstatic » 19 Jan 2009, 23:33

that works. thankx
colinstatic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby z1ppymat » 25 Jan 2009, 08:48

right ok i got a 40gig ps3 and upgraded to 250gig hd purely for the fact to many games and saves etc and heard things about YDL6.1 and thought why not lets see what its all about i installed everything fine BUT...... i have no wireless connection will not connect its the wpa thingy code from what ive read else were that its the problem ......on a wired connection i have no problems with internet but wifi it wont work and i have no acsess to a wired connection can some help please i dont want to be getting rid of this as i like the idea but its looking as though there will be no point in keeping it on my ps3 if i carnt get wifi working so please help anyone
z1ppymat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby z1ppymat » 25 Jan 2009, 09:15

im also a complete noob to linux so if you could please tell me if you have a solution on what to do it will be greatly apreciated
z1ppymat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 25 Jan 2009, 10:31

z1ppymat wrote:im also a complete noob to linux so if you could please tell me if you have a solution on what to do it will be greatly apreciated

Start here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534

Also - I noticed you've posted this question multiple places in our forum. We ask that users not "double-post" - and only ask once. This is probably not the best thread to answer your question - although the solution may eventually be in this thread.

So - for the time being, please pick only one of the three places you posted this question for follow-up questions. Thanks! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sun » 29 Jan 2009, 09:43

ppietro wrote:
This is probably not the best thread to answer your question - although the solution may eventually be in this thread.

*snxxx* *pah* LOL :lol:

Seriously, though. wicd, being a python script, uses ifconfig, iwconfig, and dhclient (or others) to do it's dirty work and seems to rely heavily on the output of each. When it doesn't call these applications well, or when the output from them is unexpected, or even non-existant in some cases, wicd quickly falls apart. I'd half expect something like this on a platform like the PS3, or with a distro like YDL, but Fedora 10 is even worse. It does make one wonder wether they really have added "support" for the PS3 in either distro.

( I've gotten masochistic and muddled together a Fedora 10 install that is running on the YDL 6.1 kernel. This is because the stock Fedora 10 kernel does not have ps3vram support. Fedora 10 runs dogged without this. Let's hope this gets added as a standard feature in the 2.6.29 kernel. )

Regardless of kernel, wicd refuses to work on Fedora 10. It'll connect, after I apply the above patch, but won't stay connected. I've noticed that the ifconfig, iwconfig, and dhclient trio seem to be less verbose/silent in Fedora 10 and therefore I suspect that wicd is NOT getting the output it needs to work properly under this distro. It seems that wicd is expecting output from something and when it doesn't get it in time, it bails out and kills all the work it's done, thus dropping the already established and working connection. I've had to go back to the manual/script activation of wpa_supplicant for Fedora 10. Although wicd has made the generation of the wpa_supplicant config file a breeze. You just have to look for it.

Bottom line is ... the issues with wicd aren't all as quick a fix as the patch above. At this point I'm just happy that it connects and stays connected under YDL 6.1. The whole point of using wicd is so that I don't have to keep modifying system files, or typing tons of command lines, ... or troubleshooting ... just to maintain a wireless connection when the system moves and the access points change. (Playstation/Portable PC)

-sun
sun
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 29 Jan 2009, 15:16

I haven't really been following this topic since I don't use wireless on either PS3, but someone mentioned updating wicd to the latest version as a fix?

viewtopic.php?p=23958#p23958
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sun » 29 Jan 2009, 20:53

I have also tried the latest wicd version ( v1.5.8 ) and it does not resolve this issue for me. I've had to modify the wnettools.py file for wicd v1.5.8 as well. I've included the modified wnettools.py in this post, for those people who have also tried the latest update and are still having this issue. Just follow the instructions in my 1st post.

wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.5.8 -
**update** - resolves "connected at 0%" and "disconnect on Fedora 10"
(9.87 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
Last edited by sun on 11 Feb 2009, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
sun
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Next

Return to Playstation 3