PS3 Hacked

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby ppietro » 22 Feb 2010, 23:32

dan_f14 wrote:Is it possible that something other than the Hypervisor is restricting access to the RSX? Assuming both parties are telling the truth it seems to me the only possibility.


Could be - nobody seems to be sure.

dan_f14 wrote:Also when gehot says
Geohot: "I'm not even sure I believe that the HV restricts video card access, just that the OtherOS driver is 2D."
is he stating that linux has a 2d driver for rsx? I thought the Cell processor did all the graphics and thats why linux does runs a little slow on the ps3?


No - he means the CPU driven framebuffer. You are correct about the Cell doing all the graphics.

Cheers,
Paul
User avatar
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4945
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 22:18

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby dan_f14 » 23 Feb 2010, 12:43

So could someone implement a 3d driver for the CPU driven framebuffer or would the demands on the processor be too high. Or is that the direction the mesa-cell project was heading. As I say I'm not after anything spectacular, I just would really like XBMC to run on ydl on my ps3.
dan_f14
ydl beginner
ydl beginner
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 23 Nov 2009, 23:13

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby androvsky » 23 Feb 2010, 16:36

dan_f14 wrote:So could someone implement a 3d driver for the CPU driven framebuffer or would the demands on the processor be too high. Or is that the direction the mesa-cell project was heading. As I say I'm not after anything spectacular, I just would really like XBMC to run on ydl on my ps3.


Yeah, that's what mesa-cell is for. If it's just 2D acceleration (which is all XBMC really needs), there's other, better libraries, but making XBMC use them would take some effort anyway. Have you considered MythTV instead?
androvsky
ydl newbie
ydl newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 22 Feb 2010, 22:34

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby Legendary_Agent » 23 Feb 2010, 18:17

Cell Alone is an acceptable "gpu" thx to its SPE cores, im not familiar with the instructions limits in it but it has been used to render plenty of 3D demo apps for benching purposes, if one could code it it could act as a gfx card, altough ppl complain its "hard" to achieve such thing.
Legendary_Agent
ydl addict
ydl addict
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 03 Feb 2010, 18:35

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby ppietro » 23 Feb 2010, 22:03

Legendary_Agent wrote:if one could code it [the Cell] could act as a gfx card, altough ppl complain its "hard" to achieve such thing.


Just FYI - that's what they're trying to do for OpenGL with the "mesa-cell" project mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4015
and here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4015&start=45#p36757

UPDATE: Oops - I see you found that thread. :D

Cheers,
Paul
User avatar
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4945
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 22:18

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby Legendary_Agent » 24 Feb 2010, 01:57

lol yeah, unfortunatelly i didnt check the date of that thread creation... its a pretty darn shame the project has ended with no success, i was rly hoping to see some 3D emulation on SPEs :(
i mean an actual driver for them... we could play 1080p videos with np, flash games, no more low fps with ydl GUI and so on, i find it quite surprising that all including ydl, videos, websites is running on 1 only core running at 3.2ghz, quite a powerfull one if you ask me.
Legendary_Agent
ydl addict
ydl addict
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 03 Feb 2010, 18:35

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby morgan » 30 Mar 2010, 22:50

people have been saying that sony are going to patch all fat ps3 and remove the other os feature because of this, do you guys think this is true and are they allowed to??? id be very gutted as i luv ydl on my ps3, i just wont update, even though i want to use ps network, it would be a tough choice for me, either lose linux or never use the network, would anyone else update if they new it remove linux??
morgan
ydl newbie
ydl newbie
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 11 Dec 2008, 11:42

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby ppietro » 31 Mar 2010, 00:13

morgan wrote:people have been saying that sony are going to patch all fat ps3 and remove the other os feature because of this, do you guys think this is true and are they allowed to??? id be very gutted as i luv ydl on my ps3, i just wont update, even though i want to use ps network, it would be a tough choice for me, either lose linux or never use the network, would anyone else update if they new it remove linux??


We're discussing it in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7266

Cheers,
Paul
User avatar
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4945
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 22:18

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby vesh » 09 Apr 2010, 08:13

So with this hack does that mean we can play 3d emulators like N64 through YDL??

How do we put the hack onto our own ps3's??
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 15 Oct 2008, 08:40

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby ppietro » 09 Apr 2010, 08:22

vesh wrote:So with this hack does that mean we can play 3d emulators like N64 through YDL??


No - not yet. The hack is currently just Firmware 3.21 with OtherOS support. No features have been changed or updated.

vesh wrote:How do we put the hack onto our own ps3's??


Unknown yet - hopefully he'll post some details.

Cheers,
Paul
User avatar
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4945
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 22:18

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby vesh » 09 Apr 2010, 10:31

Oh I ment the hack of what the thread was originally about
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 15 Oct 2008, 08:40

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby ppietro » 09 Apr 2010, 10:37

vesh wrote:Oh I ment the hack of what the thread was originally about


Oh - in that case - no. All he was doing was gathering information. Prior to the development of the custom firmware, the main thing he'd done - from an end user perspective - was the photo I posted in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7307#p37925

The hack itself is quite complex. A very, very, very quick summary is that he used a program in Linux to flood the bus with a bunch of messages. Then, he applied a voltage to certain points on the motherboard, and "glitched" the system. Because of the heavy loading, the glitching allowed him to access memory on the other side of the hypervisor, and away he rolled.

To set this up yourself is not trivial at all. It requires custom external hardware to do the glitching, and modification of your PS3's motherboard to interface the hardware.

After that, he found out that, although the 7th SPE was physically locked out of the system with an encryption key, it didn't matter, since he could use his above the hypervisor privileges to make the locked out SPE encrypt and decrypt code for him. He has yet to decode one of the hardware keys in the Cell - but it doesn't matter, since he can get the SPE to "do his bidding".

This explanation is very, very simplified, but that's the main idea.

Cheers,
Paul
User avatar
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4945
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 22:18

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby vesh » 09 Apr 2010, 13:58

sweet thanks for replying. Don't think I'll be opening up my ps3 haha
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 15 Oct 2008, 08:40

Re: PS3 Hacked

Postby Iguana » 17 Apr 2010, 17:02

ppietro wrote:
vesh wrote:Oh I ment the hack of what the thread was originally about


Oh - in that case - no. All he was doing was gathering information. Prior to the development of the custom firmware, the main thing he'd done - from an end user perspective - was the photo I posted in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7307#p37925

The hack itself is quite complex. A very, very, very quick summary is that he used a program in Linux to flood the bus with a bunch of messages. Then, he applied a voltage to certain points on the motherboard, and "glitched" the system. Because of the heavy loading, the glitching allowed him to access memory on the other side of the hypervisor, and away he rolled.

To set this up yourself is not trivial at all. It requires custom external hardware to do the glitching, and modification of your PS3's motherboard to interface the hardware.

After that, he found out that, although the 7th SPE was physically locked out of the system with an encryption key, it didn't matter, since he could use his above the hypervisor privileges to make the locked out SPE encrypt and decrypt code for him. He has yet to decode one of the hardware keys in the Cell - but it doesn't matter, since he can get the SPE to "do his bidding".

This explanation is very, very simplified, but that's the main idea.

Cheers,
Paul

I've found some more information on how the PS3 was hacked :arrow: http://rdist.root.org/2010/01/27/how-th ... as-hacked/ and what I've read from the web-sight's article it sounds very complex...
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict
 
Posts: 120
Joined: 01 Apr 2010, 22:49
Location: Florida

Previous

Return to Playstation 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 0 guests

cron