OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

Postby ppietro » 29 Mar 2010, 02:57

Hi everyone,

I wish this were an April Fool's Day joke, but no - it's official: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/ ... 21-update/

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

Additional information about PS3 firmware updates, including v3.21 (once it becomes available), can be found here:
http://us.playstation.com/support/syste ... /index.htm

PS3 owners who have further questions should contact Consumer Services:
http://us.playstation.com/support/ask/
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

It's best to start planning for the transition now. Thanks a bunch, Geohot. :(

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21

Postby otakusupreme » 29 Mar 2010, 04:19

can i just skip the upgrade? and keep linux?
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby juanito » 29 Mar 2010, 05:23

There is a certain inevitability about this...
juanito
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 29 Mar 2010, 05:39

otakusupreme wrote:can i just skip the upgrade? and keep linux?

You can - but....

Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;
  • Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

So - if you use your PS3 at all for on-line gaming, PSN chat, future blu-ray and game updates, etc., - you must upgrade.

A good way to measure this is to see how you felt when your PS3 wouldn't authenticate to PSN on March 1st. If you barely noticed, you can probably skip the update without worrying. If, instead, it made you throw down the controller in disgust, you've got a real dilemma on your hands.

I'm still deciding what I'm going to do. I don't relish the thought of removing the OtherOS partition from my drive - that's a large backup/format/restore step for my 250 gig drive. But - I'm not sure I can afford to ignore the update either. I do a lot of the things listed above.

*sigh*

I think this is the final straw that breaks the camel's back for me and the PS3. I don't think I'm doing the update - I need to preserve what I have - but I probably won't be using my PS3 much further after April 1st. My xbox 360 has been waiting in the wings for a long time - sadly, it's now moving to center stage. I'll buy a stand-alone blu-ray player as well - prices have dropped on those. And - I have my PS2 for the few games I can't live without. Luckily, I didn't amass a collection of PS3 games I can't live without. (Well - until I get my PS3 slim ><)

A real shame, though. No joy here tonight. :(

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. This even affects the Netflix streaming movie service. When I couldn't log into PSN, I couldn't even watch Netflix. *double sigh*
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SmokeyPSD » 29 Mar 2010, 05:46

the dick who put together geohot didn't even come up with anything practical. great bunch these pirates. yet another example of us losing out because of these clowns.

can anyone think of a four letter word describing a pirate?
SmokeyPSD
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

3.21 Slap in the face

Postby knicknak » 29 Mar 2010, 06:04

[MODERATOR EDIT - Let's keep these all together in one thread for now. Merging posts. -Paul]

Wow if this is real and not an April Fools Joke, what a slap in the face for this community and people that have put time into developing YDL for the PS3.
knicknak
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: 3.21 Slap in the face

Postby CoBrA2168 » 29 Mar 2010, 06:08

RIP "install Other OS" Feature April 1, 2010.

I can't believe they're doing this.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/ ... 21-update/

Is there anything we can do?

This is just going to force homebrew. I'm not updating.
CoBrA2168
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Jaybps3 » 29 Mar 2010, 07:08

That's rediculous they are doing this, I guess all the time we all spent on this was just a waste. I want a refund for my ps3 considering it no longer offers what I initially bought it for. I got an xbox 360 and a boatload of friends I prefer it for my online gaming. I got ps3 for the sole purpose of linux.

I think they should have to refund my money and take this ps3 and stick it where the sun don't shine.Remember a while back, We was warned this was comming OWEN wouldn't have posted that if it was not from a reliable source. Looks like he nailed it.

I feel like crap thinking about all the time I spent and all the time billb paul and others have spent to enhance the YDL ps3 linux experience. Big smack in the face for all of us. :evil:
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby sirgrinalot » 29 Mar 2010, 07:51

I am at a loss of words... :cry:
PlayStation 3 80GB (CECHE01) (Upgraded to Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB), FW 3.15, YDL 6.2
Samsung LN-T3242HX 32" LCD
Logitech Bluetooth MediaBoard Pro
PS Network ID: sirgrinalot
sirgrinalot
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ning » 29 Mar 2010, 08:36

Definitely no updating this time :oops:

My ps3 runs now so successful as a super computer even can run win98 under enum though no much useful.
I will leave Sony for Toshiba, hopefully their cell TV can run YDL

Thanks everyone.
ning
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby CronoCloud » 29 Mar 2010, 08:50

Damn it!

I need PSN and OtherOS. I still haven't decided on what I'm doing. I play mostly single player, so I can hold off for a while, but I can't hold off forever. If I had a second PS3 (like I had a second PS2 just for FFXI) I'd just not upgrade the firmware on mideel, but I don't, and don't have the money for another one right now.

I use my PS3 for everything, I read my e-mail on it, I host a message board chat on it, I write on it, I edit pictures on it. Having OtherOS on it (and Linux on the PS2) meant we could get away with just one cheap Windows machine. And if I do update the firmware I lose access to LInux...and I would miss Linux. I suppose updating the firmware on it would be okay if I had an X86 CentOS or Fedora box, but I don't have the cash for that right now either.

Damn it!

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby Carnivac » 29 Mar 2010, 10:12

I don't know what to do. I want to keep my Linux install for sure, but then I'll lose my online features of PSN games and chat. I chat to family (all live abroad now) and friends in Home as they all have PS3's too and I like playing LittleBigPlanet with friends online and Uncharted 2 is the only action game on any system I enjoy online and is by far and away my most favorite game of all time. Not having the Other OS feature in the Slim is why I didn't want to 'upgrade' to one but actually removing it from our systems too... that's harsh and yeah I'd like some money back too seeing as it's something I paid for.

This ain't enough to make me buy an Xbox360 (absolutely nothing on them I want to play and they have crap joypads and I'm not paying for online and I had a lot of bad experience with my first Xbox the useless brick it was) but it's still really pissed me off.
PSN: Carnivius_Prime
PS3: 40GB upgraded to 500GB, FW 2.80, YDL 6.2, PSEye, 1xDS3, 2xSixaxis, PAL 16:9 SDTV
PSP Slim: CFW 5.00 M33-6, 4GB Memory Stick
Carnivac
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Sony removes OtherOS option in all PS3s

Postby Ribs » 29 Mar 2010, 10:15

[Moderator Edit: Merging with main topic. Let's keep these all in one thread for now. -Paul]

From http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/03/ ... -april-1st
PS3 Firmware 3.21 will be available this Thursday. It will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, we’re now removing this feature.

For most of you, this won’t have any impact on how you use your PS3. If you are one of the few who use the “Other OS” feature, or if you belong to an organisation that does, then you can choose not to upgrade your system. However, doing so will mean that the following features will not be available:

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat.
* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later.
* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings).
* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later.

If you currently use the “Other OS” feature and you wish to update to system software 3.21, make sure you back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

Could be an April fools. But I doubt that Sony would put it on their own blog, especially given it's not Arpil 1st yet.

So now you have a choice. PSN and latest games, or OtherOS. But not both. I for am disgusted.
Ribs
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Entity » 29 Mar 2010, 10:23

ppietro wrote:It's best to start planning for the transition now. Thanks a bunch, Geohot. :(

SmokeyPSD wrote:the dick who put together geohot didn't even come up with anything practical. great bunch these pirates. yet another example of us losing out because of these clowns.

can anyone think of a four letter word describing a pirate?

I'm ashamed of both of you. Instead of blaming who has done this (Sony, ONLY Sony), you blame someone who's only interest was researching and trying to open some of the restrictions that linux ps3 have, like the access to RSX. He is NOT a pirate, not matter how much you want it to be true. The only truth here is that Sony will remove a feature of your machine and treating you like if you had rented your machine instead of buying it, but maybe some of you two are too Sony fanboys and will still defend your beloved company, buying more of its products and blaming someone that was just having some fun doing research.
Entity
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ColdFever » 29 Mar 2010, 10:34

This is what Sony tells in marketing:
"In addition to playing games, watching movies, listening to music, and viewing photos, you can use the PS3™ system to run the Linux operating system. By installing the Linux operating system, you can use the PS3™ system not only as an entry-level personal computer with hundreds of familiar applications for home and office use, but also as a complete development environment for the Cell Broadband Engine™.

source: http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/index.html

And this is what Sony tells on the box of my PS3:
To continuously enjoy playback of copyright-protected Blu-Ray Discs, in some cases... the system must be updated."

In other words: To use a marketed feature (Playing of BluRay) you have to update the system whereby you lose another marketed feature (Running Linux OS). IMHO this fully would rectify legal actions against Sony.
ColdFever
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Next

Return to Playstation 3