Fans roaring

Architecture specific questions.

Fans roaring

Postby dignus » 04 May 2007, 17:49

I've seen quite some people with the same issue, but I haven't been able to find a solution for this: I've installed the latest version of YDL on my iMac (G5 1.8 Ghz, 2 GB DDR). Install went fine, booting is fine, I can use the product without any problems. But ... the fans in the Mac are *ROARING*. They make more noise than my printer on steroids. I've applied all updates.

Any ideas?
dignus
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby crysalis » 10 Jun 2007, 17:34

Same Issue here, and no one seems to have a answer to this. Quite disapointing i might add...
crysalis
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Fans roaring

Postby jdog1928 » 01 Mar 2009, 09:10

I have the same problem... the fans are out of control. The install and setup went really smooth and it runs great, but its way to loud to be anywhere!

My specs:
YDL 6.1
Imac G5 1.6 ghz
jdog1928
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 01 Mar 2009, 16:49

I did some searching on the Fixstars site but didn't come up with any solutions. From what I can see (and I don't have a Mac, just PS3) it looks like a kernel build option for thermal support. I see references to thermal support back in the YDL 4 Howto's here: http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... fans.shtml

I don't know if thermal support is built-in or broken in the YDL 6.1 kernel for Macs, but at least it may be a start for where to look. This is something I'd be very careful playing with, of course.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dom1127 » 03 Mar 2009, 12:29

Hi All,

I'm new to YDL. Just installed it onto an imac G5. Works great! Except the fans are running at full speed.

I have been reading a few forums and tried a few things but still no good.

BUT...

If I navigate through (by opening each folder) to Computer/sys/devices/platform/windfarm.0 the fans suddenly slow down to normal speed!

It is really strange as soon as I double-click the windfarm.0 directory the fans slow down.

They remain slow for about a minute or 2 before speeding up again.

Any news on a fix for this?

Thanks,
Dom
dom1127
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby libraryeye » 16 Mar 2009, 23:22

Never finding any luck with this, I installed Fedora 10 instead. It works pretty well, too. I had another issue (which I had with all linux distros on my iMac G5 20" ppc) - my monitor display was off center like 3/8" (very irritating) but was able to find a solution to that as well. Not to try to sell you on another distro - but if the fan issue is still unresolved & keeping you from running Linux - I'd say try out Fedora. OpenSuse & Ubuntu also had fans under control- but OpenSuse seemed real slow on my iMac and Ubuntu ppc is no longer officially supported. I tried Yellow Dog first because I heard it was the ppc distro, but I couldn't run the risk of wearing out my fans and I couldn't stand the noise anyway.
libraryeye
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bavery » 25 Jan 2010, 06:56

i hate to also be a YDL buzzkill but i also struggled with this issue, spent hours on it, then installed Ubuntu and it's been great. it may not be officially supported but there is a great page dedicated to it:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ

downloaded it, installed it, works a treat. except...
Flash support is complicated so things like YouTube, Hulu, and Pandora are hard to get working. personally, i don't care - the jet engine noise is gone.

sorry YDL folks, i wanted to like it, tried it...
bavery
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Fans roaring, still…

Postby libraryeye » 04 Feb 2010, 00:23

I tried latest YDL thinking this would be fixed for sure, but no luck. Roaring fans. It’s a shame, since other distros are all dropping PPC support you would like to think YDL being PPC specific could support the last of the PPC iMacs. Maybe next time? I tried latest Fedora (12) and Ubuntu (9.1 community build) but neither one works with my wired mouse (rocketfish usb) or wireless (trusty apple one button bluetooth that came with iMac five years). Right now, I’m back with an old version of OpenSuse (the last ppc build) dual booting with Mac OSX Tiger. And it kicks the fans on more than last Ubuntu or Fedora 10 ever did, but while I had Fedora 10 & 11 working for a while, subsequent updates broke them. Practically speaking, in my less than one year of trying to run linux on my mac, nothing runs as well as Mac OSX. (Plus, my Mac has InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop which I need for work I do. They’re old versions now - “CS2” - but still work for what I need) Of course, on my intel PC laptop (a Compaq currently running Mint) I almost never boot into Windows and find Linux runs just as well or better for everything I need on that machine.
libraryeye
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby linfidel » 27 Apr 2011, 01:45

For those with this problem... I had it too. My fans would roar, stopping briefly every once in a while. I found a script on this board that worked after a slight fix. It involves simply reading the file cpu-temp in the windfarm.0 directory mentioned earlier. You can test it by simply navigating there with a terminal, and either running "cat" or "less" when the fan starts going.

The script was here:
Code: Select all
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1229&p=4283&hilit=windfarm#p4283

The modification was to change cpu_temp to cpu-temp, and get rid of the question marks after the variables with CamelCase. I created a shell script, put it in the bin directory of my home, and ran it using ctrl-option-F2. Worked like a charm. It could easily be automated, I guess, but I haven't got around to that, yet.
linfidel
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby blackpuppy » 21 Jun 2011, 18:57

linfidel wrote:For those with this problem... I had it too. My fans would roar, stopping briefly every once in a while. I found a script on this board that worked after a slight fix. It involves simply reading the file cpu-temp in the windfarm.0 directory mentioned earlier. You can test it by simply navigating there with a terminal, and either running "cat" or "less" when the fan starts going.

The script was here:
Code: Select all
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1229&p=4283&hilit=windfarm#p4283

The modification was to change cpu_temp to cpu-temp, and get rid of the question marks after the variables with CamelCase. I created a shell script, put it in the bin directory of my home, and ran it using ctrl-option-F2. Worked like a charm. It could easily be automated, I guess, but I haven't got around to that, yet.

I honestly prefer to let the fans run and perform the way the naturally would to the original script. Just based on the enterprise information I have on my system there is no way I am going to let it overheat. I run an external fan as well just for extra precaution. That's just my take, I can see how it can be annoying and frustrating, I have just learned to deal with it. So far the youtube to mp3 converter I have been running hasn't given me any issues, but it is always good to be prepared for overheating.
blackpuppy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to eMac and iMac