Games that work well in YDL on PS3

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Postby billb » 04 Jul 2007, 07:42

F-Man wrote:Nice one. Mednafen was listed there and picked my interest especially for its GBA emulation. Trying to run it with -vdriver 1 (SDL framebuffer) only seems to give a black screen with no sound though.

I haven't tried that one yet. I did check out the Sega Saturn emulator (Yabause) and got it to run Tomb Raider but it was very slow, and the graphics were messed up once the actual game started.

DGen-SDL is giving me a "Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)" error. In google searches I see some others having this problem but I don't know the solution.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Java Games

Postby billb » 06 Jul 2007, 04:35

Since sound is now working in the Java applets on YDL 5.0.2 for PS3, I thought I would post a few games that run right in Firefox. Nothing to install, except the Java plugin, of course. (see this thread for howto: http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=1581)

JaC64 Commodore 64 emulator
http://www.jac64.com/home/index.php

JEmu2 Arcade emulator applet
http://www.gagaplay.com/jemu2/applet/index.html
(The games start slowly then auto-adjust to a better speed. Not all have sound. Galaga, Ms. Pacman, Ghost's'Goblins all work with sound)

http://www.flyordie.com/
A very active mutliplayer Java game site featuring pool, chess, Reversi, etc. Expect to see lots of banner ads.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby YDL777 » 22 Jul 2007, 06:21

I apologize if this has already been posted somewhere - I know it is available in bits and pieces, I meant as a whole - but here are the basic fixes for most of the problems I experienced with emulators in YDL 5.0.1:

FCEU
1. Install the SDL.ppc and SDL-devel.ppc packages from Add/Remove Software or yum
2. Get the source code for version 0.98.12 and install from source as explained by billb. :)
3. If games are running slowly (around 0.2 FPS) with sound ON, but fine with sound OFF, then you probably just need to install alsa-oss. Use Add/Remove software to install this and FCEU should work perfectly.

SNES9x
1. Install snes9express frontend by searching through Add/Remove Software.
2. Configure and make snes9x from source - I used version 1.43 - but don't bother installing. The executable should be called "snes9x".
3. Open snes9express (error can be fixed by ensuring "no skin" is selected), give it the location of the executable and games under "Preferences".
4. Since you've already installed alsa-oss, enabling "thread sound", disabling "Filters" (as stated by billb) should fix all your sound problems.
5. As billb also stated, there is no fix yet for the non-functional square button.

xmame.SDL 1.06
I know there are plenty of links around for very detailed instructions on how to get xmame.SDL going, but all of the ones I have found are for xmame.SDL 0.79.1, which has VERY limited support from what I have read. I have not noticed any performance problems on the X11 version of xmame 1.06. The only problem I had was that I simply could not get the X11 version to run in fullscreen mode. By compiling xmame.SDL 1.06 from source, I found that the game compatibility was fixed (no more random "missing files" errors), I could run it in fullscreen mode, scale it to any size i wanted using "heightscale" and "widthscale" properly, while also getting frame rates of 58-60FPS on every game tested. The only catch is that you have to edit the makefile and set things like CFLAGS yourself, but since I'm a total linux newb and I managed to do it, I'm sure it shouldn't be too much of a problem for anyone else... :wink:

To get your controller working properly (assuming xmame.SDL 1.06 is actually reading input from your controller, which it might not in YDL 5.0.2), just lay your controller on the ground and push individual buttons when configuring. This way xmame.SDL 1.06 doesn't read the random SIXAXIS input caused by holding the controller in your hands, which are probably shaking from all the excitement... :wink:

I got the source for xmame.SDL 1.06 at: http://packages.debian.org/stable/games/xmame-sdl
[xmame_0.106.orig.tar.gz]

Enjoy!
YDL777
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

DOSbox games!

Postby WaRDeMoN » 24 Jul 2007, 22:57

Wow... If you're an OLD school gamer like i am (I'm 28 in 2 days) and you've been at the forefront of the PC gaming scene between 85-94 (Before win95 came out), I found a site with an EXTENSIVE collection of abandon-ware games for DOS. Check it out:

[link removed -- billb]

Lots of classics... too many to list... 68 pages... 15 games per page... uhhh that rounds out to about *1020* games or so!!

Keep in mind, some are protected by the ESA and some are still sold (???) by the manufacturer.... but a LOT are free to download...

Enjoy!!
Cool Stuff I own:
PS3(60G) running YDL5.0.2 w/ Attached Intercooler
40G external - 2part 1-F32 music (PS3) 2-ext3
42" 1080i LCD from RCA
RCA Home Theater
Ideaon Zboard WoW Keyboard
Ideaon Laser Mouse
WaRDeMoN
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Sega Genesis emulation

Postby billb » 23 Aug 2007, 17:58

I just tried this last night and haven't had time to write any sort of guide, but the MESS emulator runs Sega Genesis games just fine. Running at full screen on 576p, Sonic the Hedgehog was skipping 7/10 frames, but was quite playable. In windowed mode at the original resolution it ran at full speed without skipping any frames.

EDIT: After trying quite a few Genesis games I'm not getting any sound in most of them, and partial sound in some of them. For example: partial sound in Ecco, full sound & music in Faery Tale Adventure, no sound at all in Mortal Kombat III...

I also tried some Apple II+ and Commodore 64 games in MESS, running full-screen, and those worked fine as well.

I am using sdlmess, installed using Add/Remove Programs after following the steps in the guide I posted:

Howto: Install software (the easy way)

After installing sdlmess (which is a command-line based emulator), you need to have it create an .ini file so you can edit it. By default it looks for the .ini file in certain folders. So you would use these commands to do that:

1. Open a terminal window while logged in under your normal user name

2. Create a .mess folder in your home folder
Code: Select all
mkdir ~/.mess

3. Change to your new .mess folder (the . in front of it means it is "hidden")
cd ~/.mess

4. Have MESS create a config file in this folder
mess -createconfig

5. Edit the config file

gedit mess.ini

Mine looks like this:
# <UNADORNED0>            <NULL> (not set)

#
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
#
rompath                   /usr/share/mess/bios
hashpath                  /usr/share/mess/hash
samplepath                /usr/share/mess/samples
artpath                   /usr/share/mess/artwork
ctrlrpath                 /usr/share/mess/ctrlr
inipath                   $HOME/.mess;$HOME/.mess/ini
fontpath                  /usr/share/mess/fonts

#
# CORE OUTPUT DIRECTORY OPTIONS
#
cfg_directory             $HOME/.mess/cfg
nvram_directory           $HOME/.mess/nvram
memcard_directory         $HOME/.mess/memcard
input_directory           $HOME/.mess/inp
state_directory           $HOME/.mess/sta
snapshot_directory        $HOME/.mess/snap
diff_directory            $HOME/.mess/diff
comment_directory         $HOME/.mess/comments

#
# CORE FILENAME OPTIONS
#
cheat_file                /usr/share/mess/cheat.dat

#
# CORE STATE/PLAYBACK OPTIONS
#
# state                   <NULL> (not set)
autosave                  0
# playback                <NULL> (not set)
# record                  <NULL> (not set)
# mngwrite                <NULL> (not set)
# wavwrite                <NULL> (not set)

#
# CORE PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
autoframeskip             1
frameskip                 0
seconds_to_run            0
throttle                  1
sleep                     1

#
# CORE ROTATION OPTIONS
#
rotate                    1
ror                       0
rol                       0
autoror                   0
autorol                   0
flipx                     0
flipy                     0

#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#
artwork_crop              0
use_backdrops             1
use_overlays              1
use_bezels                1

#
# CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
#
brightness                1.0
contrast                  1.0
gamma                     1.0
pause_brightness          0.65

#
# CORE VECTOR OPTIONS
#
antialias                 0
beam                      1.0
flicker                   0

#
# CORE SOUND OPTIONS
#
sound                     1
samplerate                48000
samples                   1
volume                    0

#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
# ctrlr                   <NULL> (not set)

#
# CORE DEBUGGING OPTIONS
#
log                       0
verbose                   0

#
# CORE MISC OPTIONS
#
bios                      default
cheat                     0
skip_gameinfo             0

#
# DEBUGGING OPTIONS
#
oslog                     0

#
# PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
#
multithreading            1

#
# VIDEO OPTIONS
#
video                     soft
numscreens                1
window                    1
maximize                  1
keepaspect                1
unevenstretch             1
effect                    none
centerh                   1
centerv                   1
yuvmode                   none

#
# OpenGL-SPECIFIC OPTIONS
#
filter                    1
prescale                  1
16bpp_texfmt              auto

#
# PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS
#
screen                    auto
aspect                    auto
resolution                auto
view                      auto
screen0                   auto
aspect0                   auto
resolution0               auto
view0                     auto
screen1                   auto
aspect1                   auto
resolution1               auto
view1                     auto
screen2                   auto
aspect2                   auto
resolution2               auto
view2                     auto
screen3                   auto
aspect3                   auto
resolution3               auto
view3                     auto

#
# FULL SCREEN OPTIONS
#
switchres                 0
useallheads               0

#
# SOUND OPTIONS
#
audio_latency             3

#
# INPUT DEVICE OPTIONS
#
mouse                     0
joystick                  1
steadykey                 0
a2d_deadzone              0.3
digital                   none

#
# AUTOMATIC DEVICE SELECTION OPTIONS
#
paddle_device             keyboard
adstick_device            keyboard
pedal_device              keyboard
dial_device               keyboard
trackball_device          keyboard
lightgun_device           keyboard
positional_device         keyboard
mouse_device              mouse

#
# SDL KEYBOARD MAPPING
#
keymap                    0
keymap_file               keymap.dat

#
# MESS SPECIFIC OPTIONS
#
# ramsize                 <NULL> (not set)
writeconfig               0
skip_warnings             0

#
# SDL MESS SPECIFIC OPTIONS
#
natural                   0
uimodekey                 KEYCODE_SCRLOCK

#
# CORE COMMANDS
#

#
# CONFIGURATION COMMANDS
#

#
# FRONTEND COMMANDS
#

#
# CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#
readconfig                1

6. Start MESS from the command line (NOTE: You'll have to find or create ROM files on your own!) In this case I am using a Sonic the Hedgehog ROM.

mess genesis -cart ~/media/genesis/SONIC1.BIN

You can use Left-Alt + Enter to switch to full screen, but depending on what resolution you're running at this could result in too many skipped frames to make it playable.

The start button on my USB gamepad wouldn't work, so while the game was running I hit the TAB key to bring up the menu and changed the input for the Player 1 Start button to a keyboard key instead. Once the game started the gamepad worked fine.

Some systems emulated by MESS (such as the Apple II+) require that you have appropriate files located in the default /usr/share/mess/bios folder. Again, I can't tell you where to locate and download MESS ROMS.

EDIT 9/16/07:
Changed antialias under # CORE VECTOR OPTIONS to 0 instead of 1 (which was the default). When emulating the Vectrex it locks up if antialias is used.
Last edited by billb on 16 Sep 2007, 19:15, edited 2 times in total.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some Native Games

Postby billb » 24 Aug 2007, 16:02

I have found a few good native games that run well:

Wesnoth (Battle For Wesnoth)
This is a great fantasy turn-based strategy game. You need to be running at least 720p (1280x720) for it to be playable, I think. This one is by far the best native game I have tried.

Enigma
A puzzle game, use mouse to control ball, find matching pairs of stones

Freeciv
A multi-player strategy game much like Civilization II from Microprose. Minimum of 720p needed to play.

Rocks'n'Diamonds
A Boulderd*sh game with good graphics and sound. It reminds me of the game Emerald Mine on the Amiga.

Crossfire
Multiplayer network rogue-like game

I tried these games after looking through the lists on http://www.happypenguin.org. Mostly anything that doesn't require OpenGL should run well. All were installed using just the Add/Remove Programs Package Manager (pirut). Note: you need to have the additional repos set up as mentioned in the Howto: Install software guide.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby namaste69 » 25 Aug 2007, 11:57

There is an emulation program for those games Ultima VII - Black Gate (plus expansion) and Ultima VII - Serpent Isle (plus expansion).

This program (altough this games can be run in DosBOX, but Exult is more "confortable") is an emulator only for this games, but must be compiled first for YDL-PPC-PS3. To compile needs some libraries, like SDL_devel, SDL_mixer and SDL_mixer_devel.

I've played to first part of Ultima VII - Black Gate plus Forge of Virtue Expansion. Altough it is complete playable, the only thing that remains is to see correctly the Intro and the End as it hangs for some SDL problem as i could see, but it could be deactivated in the Exult SETUP.

That's all.
Regards...
namaste69
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 25 Aug 2007, 22:29

F-Man wrote:Nice one. Mednafen was listed there and picked my interest especially for its GBA emulation. Trying to run it with -vdriver 1 (SDL framebuffer) only seems to give a black screen with no sound though.

I got around to trying Mednafen. At first I thought I was getting the same result -- only a blank screen using the -vdriver 1 switch. But I waited a little while, hit the Enter key a few times, and eventually the game I was trying (Pitfall - Gameboy Color) started working. There was a great deal of flicker in the background and no sound. So, maybe it would work but I didn't play with it any more...

gnuboy-sdl works very well, including sound and joystick support, for Gameboy Color games. After installing, you start it from the command line like this:

sdlgnuboy romname.gbc

Alt-Enter changes from the default full-screen (with black border) to windowed mode. The audio is not quite right but good enough to consider it playable. Maybe playing with the settings would correct that.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Some Native Games

Postby Mnemnoch » 26 Aug 2007, 18:44

billb wrote:Note: you need to have the additional repos set up as mentioned in the Howto: Install software guide.

That should be in bold letters. Helped me a lot in finding the RIGHT install for YDL to play any emulator.
Mnemnoch
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

MSX Computer emulation

Postby billb » 09 Sep 2007, 17:47

Growing up with the popular Commodore 64 in the US, I never actually had the chance to play with one of these back then. But, there's an excellent emulator for the MSX home computer called openmsx.

As usual, install using Add/Remove Programs after following the Howto: Install software (the easy way) guide. The package is called openmsx.

Once installed, you can start it from your Applications menu or the command line. Don't forget to update your Applications menu after install if you're running e17:

Configuration -> Applications Menu -> Regenerate/Update -> Update -> Close

If you start from the Applications menu or from the command line with no options, you'll get an error saying NO CARTRIDGE FOUND.

Hit F-10 to bring up the console in openmsx. You can "virtually" insert a cartridge using the cart command, then use the reset command to restart the emulator with the cartridge inserted. For example, I am testing a Galaga "cartridge" in ZIP archive format:

Press F-10 to bring up the console in openmsx.
cart ~/Desktop/msx/GALAGA.ZIP

reset

(where ~/Desktop/msx/GALAGA.ZIP is the full path to the cartridge ROM file in the msx folder on my Desktop)

Then, to virtually plug in a joystick (I'm using a wireless Logitech USB gamepad with no 6-Axis controllers plugged in my PS3):

plug joyporta joystick1

And finally, press F-10 again to close the console in openmsx.

Or you could start it from the command line by just saying:

openmsx [ROM location]

Example:

openmsx ~/Desktop/msx/GALAGA.ZIP

Openmsx ran the couple of games I tested with joystick support and sound, full speed of course, in a window on my 720p desktop. I didn't try getting full screen or scaling the window to a larger size.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

SDLMAME Installation / Setup guide

Postby billb » 09 Sep 2007, 19:10

*** If you're using version 0.124+ of sdlmame from Dribble (installed using Add/Remove or yum), the location of the mame.ini file needs to be: /etc/mame/mame.ini instead of ~/.mame/mame.ini ***

There are numerous versions of the MAME arcade machine emulator available on Linux (xmame, xmame.sdl, sdlmame). This is the easiest way I know of to install and use the sdlmame version...

Install sdlmame using Add/Remove Programs after following the steps in the guide I posted:

Howto: Install software (the easy way)

sdlmame

and optionally:

sdlmame-data-samples

After installing you should have it create an .ini file so you can edit it. The .ini file is simply a text file that is used to store configuration settings. By default it looks for the mame.ini file in certain folders. So you would use these commands to do that:

1. Open a terminal window while logged in under your normal user name
Applications -> Accessories -> Gnome Terminal

2. Create a .mame folder in your home folder

mkdir ~/.mame

3. Change to your new .mame folder (the . in front of it means it is "hidden")

cd ~/.mame

4. Have sdlmame create a config (mame.ini) file in this folder

mame -createconfig

5. Edit the config file

gedit mame.ini

The first thing you may want to edit is the location of your ROM folder. The default is /usr/share/mame/roms. For example lets say you have your ROMs stored in your home folder under a subfolder: emulators/mame/roms.

So you would change the line:
rompath                   /usr/share/mame/roms;/usr/share/mame/chds

to:
rompath                   $HOME/emulators/mame/roms;$HOME/emulators/mame/chds

You may also want to have it set to automatically skip frames on games it can't run at full speed, so change:
autoframeskip             0

to:

autoframeskip             1

Under # PERFORMANCE OPTIONS, multithreading improves performance on many games, so you may want to enable that, too:

multithreading            1

For good performance, you must change this line under # VIDEO OPTIONS from:

video            opengl

to:

video            soft

Joystick support should be enabled by default, but just in case, check that you have:

joystick            1

NOTE: I am using a Logitech USB gamepad and have no 6-Axis PS3 controller plugged in.

Finally, save your edited mame.ini and close the editor.

6. You should now be able to start sdlmame from the command line. For example, if you were starting the game Double Dragon, you would use the command:

mame ddragon

Or to start in a resizable window:

mame ddragon -window

If you get an error message about missing files, you either have an incorrect ROM file or your rompath isn't correctly set in your config file.

While sdlmame is running you can press F-11 to toggle display of the current framerate.

There's a newer version of sdlmame available but you have to compile it yourself. Since *I* can do it, it must not be terribly difficult... :wink: but does require some changes to the makefile, development libraries installed, etc. I might post instructions later... by compiling the latest version you'll get a user interface that displays all your roms -- much better than just using the command line alone! Here's the home page of sdlmame:

http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=163

CORRECTION: No edit to the makefile is required to compile. Just use make CELL=1 NO_OPENGL=1 (you will need a number of development libraries installed, too)

EDIT: With more recent versions of sdlmame there's a switch for using the sixaxis controller (wired) -- you should also change:
sixaxis            0

to:

sixaxis            1
Last edited by billb on 24 Apr 2008, 05:24, edited 5 times in total.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Commodore 64 Emulation using VICE

Postby billb » 09 Sep 2007, 19:49

Install VICE using Add/Remove Programs (see the guide) and update your applications menu if running e17.

Start X64 (Vice) from the Applications menu:
Applications -> Games -> X64 (Vice)

When starting for the first time you'll get an error message:

VICE Error "Sound: fragment problems."

Fix it using this option:
Settings > Sound Settings > Sample Rate > 48000Hz

Increase Window Size (if desired):
Settings > VIC-II Settings > Double size (the one at the top)

Activate PAL Emulation (if desired, looks more authentic):
Settings > VIC-II Settings > PAL Emulation > Activate
(this adds a PAL Controls button at the bottom of the
window with options for "blurredness", shading of
scanlines, etc.)

Smoothing (optional):
Settings > VIC-II Settings > Scale 2x render

To start most games:
File > Smart-attach disk/tape
Select file, click "Autostart" in bottom right

Or use LOAD"*",8,1 and possibly RUN after attaching an image.

Saving Snapshots (save machine state):
Snapshot > Save Snapshot
yourfilename.vsf

Loading Snapshots (load machine state)
Snapshot > Load Snapshot

Or from your Desktop, load snapshot from folder / icon:
right click, Open with...
scroll down to X64 (Vice) and Open

Then you can simply double-click your snapshot to start in future and go right back to where you were in a game or whatever.

Saving screenshots:
Snapshot > Save media file

I'm not sure about using the PS3 gamepad, but a regular USB PC gamepad works:
Settings > Joystick Settings > Joystick Device in Port 2 > Analog Joystick 0

As I recall, some C64 games required it in Port 2, some used Port 1, so you may have to swap ports (use Joystick Device in Port 1 or just Settings > Joystick Settings > Swap Joystick Ports).
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

More on MESS ...

Postby billb » 16 Sep 2007, 17:11

If you grew up playing an Atari 2600 and were scarred for life because you never got the chance to play the superior version of Donkey Kong on the Coleco, here's your chance... :wink:

MESS runs Coleco games well, although there's a bit of frame-skipping when I scale up to 720p. I posted previously on how to install and use MESS earlier:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopi ... =7650#7650

Starting it from the command line would go like this:
mess coleco -cart donkeykong.col

Also, Sega Master System games work in MESS. Everything I have tried works using the Japanese BIOS revision (smsj) ... for example:
mess smsj -cart princeofpersia.sms

EDIT: One more...

MESS also runs Vectrex games. I found that I had to turn off antialiasing (change antialias 1 to antialias 0 in the .ini file) or it would lock up. Example:

mess vectrex -cart "Space Wars (1982).vec"
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GrayFox » 25 Sep 2007, 07:21

Is there a way to make Starcraft run somehow or is that wishful thinking? :shock:
GrayFox
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 25 Sep 2007, 13:55

GrayFox wrote:Is there a way to make Starcraft run somehow or is that wishful thinking? :shock:

Starcraft will run at a playable speed under Windows 98 using the QEMU emulator. Also, the original Diablo (v1.09) works under Windows 98 / QEMU. :D

This screenshot is from my Fedora 7 PPC install on my PS3, but it should work in Yellow Dog as well.

Basically you install QEMU, then use QEMU to create a hard drive image file, use QEMU to boot from either the actual Windows 98 CD or an ISO of it, install Windows 98 under QEMU, then install Starcraft which should also install DirectX on Windows 98.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3